There are hundreds of sewing machines available for kids. Almost all of them look so so great that you buy them instantly. The hard fact is that 80% of sewing machines made for kids are useless.
Yes, you read it right. Most machines won’t even last for a week. As a kids’ sewing machine, you will expect it to bear all kinds of rough handling.
An ideal kid’s sewing machine should not just look good; it should also be able to provide quality stitches (at least that is why we buy a sewing machine).
Many parents have asked me, “Barbara, can you tell me which is the best sewing machine for kids?”.
The answer needs a bit of explanation.
How much do you want to spend on a kids’ sewing machine? Ideally, I would like to spend no more than the minimum price. I believe that is pretty much the benchmark for kids’ sewing machines. So I have created a list of 15 best sewing machines for kids.
If you are looking for more expensive models, you can read our list of ‘Best Sewing Machines For The Money.
Choosing the best sewing machine for kids is a daunting task as there are a lot of crap machines out there. A good kid’s sewing machine is the one that is easy to use, durable, safe, and one that provides quality stitches.
Are You Looking For Best Sewing Machines For Kids? Here’s What You Need to Consider
A machine with a foot pedal is much preferable. Most machines have both foot pedal and hand switch for starting the operation. You must make sure that the foot pedal is strong enough for handling by children.
Speed control is essential to ensure safety. It is good for beginners to use a slow speed. You must choose a machine with sliding speed control, which is easier for children to operate. They can graduate to the foot pedal operation slowly.
Kids don’t like to sit in one place. You must buy a sewing machine that can be easily carried by your kids. Most of the machines that we have selected are easy for kids to carry. This helps them to sit wherever they are most comfortable with their sewing work.
There are machines of all price levels. The price will change with the features. Going for a very low-priced machine may not give the features your child will need when he or she progresses. Go for something affordable but with interesting features.
Though lower priced ones are also on the list, you may look at the $30-70 range with the best available features. Fix your budget first and see which one is best for your children.
When it concerns kids, safety must be of top consideration — features like dual speed and drop-in bobbin help to improve safety while stitching. The drop-in bobbins have metal frames and can hold thread, avoiding the need for frequent replacement.
Ease of stitching
Simple features make it easy for the kids to begin stitching. They are not overwhelmed by the sight of so many features. But ensure to include features that they will need as they progress into bigger projects.
A built-in needle threader is a good feature to have so that kids don’t have to worry about needling the thread and have more fun with their stitching or craft.
There are machines that come in very attractive and bright colors. There are also those with interchangeable faceplates having different cartoon characters. These are more liked by kids and will enrich their sewing experience.
Reviews of the Best Sewing Machines For Kids 2020 – (Editors’ Choice)
More and more parents are trying to find out how they can get their kids to get interested in sewing because it is a hobby that will help them now and also be useful in the future. Sewing is a skill that can come handy at any time.
We decided that we will help the parents in their search for the ideal sewing machine for their kids by listing the top 15 kids’ sewing machines and their features.
Even the best sewing machine manufacturers have found it difficult to come up with a quality machine. While creating this list, I had to discard a lot of good looking toys like machines due to their low quality.
Finally, I came up with the top 15 list. Here it is
1. Michley LSS-202 – Best Mini Sewing Machine
This is a machine that will allow your kid to stitch anything from denim to craft. It offers perfect stitch control that is very useful for kids who are learning to sew. It also has a double thread facility for durable stitching. The machine is light enough but powerful to produce strong stitches.
The sewing machine has two speeds, which are a great help for learners. They can use the slow speed when learning so that they can see where the stitch is going. Once they are comfortable, they can use a higher speed for quick completion of work.
There is a top drop-in bobbin feature that allows for proper seating of the bobbin and perfect stitches. It also facilitates easy threading. There is an automatic bobbin rewind facility in this machine. It comes with both hand switch and foot pedal for starting.
You get 4 bobbins with the machine for easy change of colors of thread. There are extra needles that come with it. You also get a threader for easy needle threading. It can be used with batteries or an AC mains adapter.
Features at a glance:
- The best kids sewing with two speeds that is useful for beginners and learners
- Double thread facility allows for lockstitch which is more durable
- Drop-in bobbin helps in easy threading and stable stitching
- It has both hand switch and foot-pedal for starting. Can use batteries or AC adapter.
- It comes with 4 bobbins, extra needles, and a threader.
2. Singer Start 1304 – Best Sewing Machine for Beginners
The ideal machine for a beginner to trigger their sewing interest comes with 6 built-in stitching styles. You can select straight, satin, zigzag, blind hem, scallop, or 4-step buttonhole with just a turn of the dial. An auto-reverse stitching facility is available for reinforcing your stitches.
The machine has dual spool pins for twin needle sewing, which can add style to the sewing. There are three presser feet for general stitching, zipper, and buttonholing. Preset stitching length and width make it easy for beginners.
Setting up the machine is quick and easy as threading from spool to needle can be done in seconds. The threading diagram is printed on the machine itself. It is a simple, easy, and lightweight machine suitable for kids.
The machine has a metal frame that makes it stable and gives skip-free stitches. You get extra needles, bobbins, foot pedal, power cable, needle plate screwdriver, and darning plate. The free arm allows easy stitching of cuffs, pant legs, and sleeves.
Features at a glance:
- Ideal beginners’ machine with 6 built-in stitch styles, auto-reverse, and a 4-step buttonhole.
- It comes with twin thread spools, three presser feet, and preset stitching length and width.
- Threading the needle is easy even for beginners with a full diagram printed on the machine
- The machine has a free arm and a strong metal frame. Auto-reverse stitching is available
- Free accessories include bobbins, needles, screwdrivers, power cable, and foot pedal.
3. Brother XM 2701 – Best Lightweight Sewing Machine
A versatile sewing machine that can grow with your child’s sewing expertise. It has 27 preset stitching styles with a one-stop custom-sized buttonhole. It has six sewing feet for a button, zipper, buttonhole, zigzag, blind stitch, and narrow hem.
Kids can thread the needle easily with an automatic needle threader. The top drop-in bobbin helps it in place and ensures even stitching. The work area is lit with LED lighting to avoid strain for your child’s eyes.
The machine’s free arm allows the kids to stitch the areas that are not easily reachable by other standard sewing machines. This is a machine that is good for beginners and experts.
The machine comes with an instruction DVD for learning how to stitch and bring your creativity to life.
Features at a glance:
- Has 27 built-in stitching styles to help kids use their creativity
- There are six sewing feet for various stitching different styles
- Automatic needle-threader helps kids to thread needles with ease
- Drop-in bobbin allows for even and straight stitches
- The free arm allows easy stitching of cuffs, pant legs and sleeves.
4. Janome Pink Sorbet Easy-To-Use – Best Easy to Use Sewing Machine
A sewing machine with multiple features for your kids to start and progress to more complicated projects. This pink beauty comes with 15 built-in stitches, including one four-step buttonhole style. The stitch length and zigzag width are adjustable for different projects.
The machine has a 3-piece feed dog system that helps to move any fabric smoothly. It comes with four presser feet for general purpose, zipper, blind hemming, and buttonhole stitching. The extra high foot helps to stitch thicker fabric or several layers of fabric.
Easy front-loading bobbin system for loading even with the fabric present. Instructions on the machine help to thread the bobbin without checking the instruction manual. Thread tension is adjustable, depending on the fabric.
The machine has a free arm with storage. There is an easy reverse lever and LED lighting for the stitch area. Snap-On presser foot helps in easy changing of the foot. Needles, bobbins, seam ripper, and darning plate come with the machine.
Features at a glance:
- 15 built-in stitching styles including a four-step buttonhole stitching.
- Adjustable stitch length and zigzag width. Four different presser feet
- Front-loading bobbin system and easy bobbin threading.
- Extra high foot for thick fabrics and 3-piece feed dog for smooth fabric movement.
- Free arm with storage. Reverse switch and LED-lit stitching area. Snap-On presser.
5. Brother SM1738D – Best Brother Sewing Machine for kids
The Disney-themed sewing machine comes with attractive features for kids of all levels. It has 17 built-in stitch styles, including decorative, reinforcement, and stretch stitching apart from regular stitching styles.
It comes with a drop-in top bobbin with clear view bobbin cover and automatic bobbin winding systems to make stitching easier and stable. You also get a twin needle, darning plate, and extra spool pin.
There are four sewing feet for zigzag, buttonhole, button, and zipper stitching. Reverse stitching for reinforcement is possible with the touch of a lever. Tension adjuster helps to stitch even in different fabrics.
The fun interchangeable Disney faceplates will surely attract your kids. You also get a Disney dust cover with the machine. There is a free arm for easy stitching inaccessible places.
Features at a glance:
- Disney theme sewing machine with 17 built-in stitching styles
- Drop-in top bobbin and automatic bobbin winding makes stitching easy
- Four sewing feet for zipper, button, buttonhole and zigzag.
- Reverse stitching for reinforcement and tension adjuster available
- Attractive Disney faceplate and dust cover.
6. Costway Sewing Machine – Best Household Sewing Machine
The portable compact sewing packs a lot of features that are good for your kid and yourself with 12 built-in stitching styles and automatic thread rewind. Forward and reverse stitching for reinforcing stitches.
You have a two-speed stitching and double thread facility. There is an easy 4-step buttonhole stitching feature. You can use both hand switch and foot pedal for starting. It has a tension adjuster for different fabrics.
There are sewing light and thread cutter in the machine along with built-in measuring tape. There is a drawer for keeping your accessories. There is a convenient carry handle built in the machine. It is lightweight and portable.
High presser foot allows stitching multiple layers of clothing. This is a machine for all purposes and can sew different materials easily. The free arm allows easy sleeve stitching. Stitching length and zigzag width can be adjusted.
Features at a glance:
- Has 12 built-in stitching styles with automatic thread rewind. Reverse stitching possible
- Two-speed stitching and double thread features. 4 step buttonhole stitching
- Stitch length and zigzag width can be adjusted. Tension adjuster available.
- Thick fabric stitching possible. Free arm for sleeve stitching.
- The machine has light, drawer, measuring tape, thread cutter, carry handle and foot pedal.
7. Donyer Power Electric – Best Portable Sewing Machine for kids
This is a small powerhouse with excellent features for kids at different levels of expertise. It comes with 12 preset stitch patterns for different styles and buttonholes. There are two speeds for learners.
The machine has a built-in needle threader for convenience. You can adjust the length and width of the stitch for different styles. There is a free arm for easy stitching of sleeves, pant legs, and cuffs. Reverse stitching is possible.
You can use the hand switch or foot pedal for starting. There is LED lighting for stitching in low-lit areas without eye strain. The thread cutter is built in. There is a drawer for storage. An automatic bobbin winding function is available.
It is lightweight and portable. It is good for kids with so many automatic functions.
Features at a glance:
- 12 preset stitching styles with buttonhole stitching suitable for all projects
- Two speeds help in safe stitching for kids. Length and width of stitching adjustable
- Reverse stitching helps in reinforcing the stitches. Automatic bobbin winding available
- Sleeve and cuff stitching possible with free arm. LED lighting for convenience.
- Hand switch and foot pedal available. Drawer and thread cutter are built-in.
8. Nex Sewing Machine – Best Sewing Machine for Teenager
The machine comes with 12 built-in stitching styles for different projects and various requirements and for buttonholing. There are two speeds for the safety of kids. Beginners can start at low speed.
There is a tension adjuster for stitching different materials. Reverse stitching is possible for stronger stitches. Suitable for different kinds of projects like home décor, dolls, etc. Double thread function is available for lock stitching.
There is a free arm for sleeve stitching. Adjustable needle distance allows for stitching different fabrics. The presser foot can be easily replaced. You can stitch several layers of clothing together.
The machine comes with an LED light for stitching in dark areas. A thread cutter is built-in for your convenience. The machine has a drawer for keeping your accessories. Foot pedal comes along with the machine.
Features at a glance:
- 12 preset stitching styles with a buttonholing facility. Two stitching speeds for safety
- Tension adjuster and reverse stitching are available. Needle distance can be adjusted
- Double thread function is available for stronger stitches.
- There is a free arm. Needle distance can be adjusted. Multiple cloth layers can be stitched
- LED light helps to see the stitch clearly. Thread cutter and drawer are available.
9. Janome Purple Thunder – Best Janome Sewing Machine for kids
Most beautiful sewing machine on this list. It is available in different colors as well. Kids will love the look of this machine. It is beautiful, affordable and has some quality associated with it.
It has ten built-in stitches, the drop-in bobbin, and it is portable. If aesthetics is something that you consider as a top priority, then this is the one for you.
Not designed for heavy fabrics. No sewing light.
10. Michley LSS – 505 – Best Multi Purpose Sewing Machine
If you are really on a tight budget, LSS – 505 would be a great option. This is the least expensive sewing machine on this list. It comes with 8 built-in stitches.
The Stitch quality is not as good as you will get on better-ranked machines on this list. Something that you must expect from a low-cost sewing machine.
11. Shendian Mini Beginner – Best Basic Sewing Machine
This is one of the best sewing machines for kids with large operation table for convenient stitching. The metal hook tip reduces failure and helps the long life of the machine. Sewing slot for sleeves makes it easy.
It comes with a double thread facility for a stronger stitch or lockstitch. There are two speeds for safety and different types of stitching and powerful stitching like bags, jeans, toys, etc. Large spool can be used for easy rewind and replacement of bottom bobbin.
There is a tension adjuster to stitch different types of fabric. This allows the machine to stitch a variety of items that can make it interesting for kids.
It is a handheld and light machine for use everywhere. Light in the machine allows for stitching without strain for the eyes.
Features at a glance:
- Best beginners’ machine with a large operation table. Metal hook tip for longer life
- Sewing slot for easy sewing of sleeves. Double speed for the safety of children
- Double thread for lockstitch and strong stitch. Tension adjuster for different fabrics.
- There is large spool for rewinding and replacing the bottom spool
- Handheld and portable. Light for sewing without strain.
12. Janome 13512 Hello Kitty – Easy to Transport
One of the best sewing machines for kids which is also cute and stuffed with exciting features like 15 built-in stitch styles. This includes essential, fashion, and home-décor stitch styles. It also has one 4-step buttonhole stitching feature.
This one has an adjustable stitch length and zigzag width, which makes it suitable for all types of projects. The three-piece feed dog system allows smooth movement for all fabric types. There is an easy reverse button. The bobbin winder prevents overwinding of the bobbin.
The machine comes extra high presser foot lift, which facilitates the stitching of thick fabrics. Snap-On presser foot makes it easy for changing the foot. It has front-loading vertical oscillating hook bobbin. The strong internal aluminum frame makes it suitable even for big projects.
You get 3 extra presser feet for a zipper, blind-hem, and buttonhole along with a general-purpose foot. The accessories include needle set, bobbins, seam-ripper, foot control, and power cable. The machine has a removable free arm.
Features at a glance:
- Cute machine with 15 built-in stitches and 4-step buttonhole stitching
- Has adjustable stitch length and zigzag width and three-piece feed dog system
- Snap-On presser foot makes it easy to change presser feet. Comes with 4 presser feet.
- Strong internal aluminum frame makes it stable and good for big projects.
- Has easy reverse button. Bobbin winder doesn’t permit over-winding.
13. Brother LS2125i – Easy to install
This is the second most popular sewing machine for kids. This machine is not as advanced as the previous one in features but is still a favorite sewing machine among kids. It has ten built-in stitches, 4-step buttonhole, and side loading bobbin.
4-step buttonhole and side loading bobbin are not easy to handle, especially for kids. The Even interesting fact is that the current price difference between LS2125i and XL2600I is very less.
So everyone chooses XL2600I over this one. Better pricing would have made it more competitive.
14. Brother XL2600I – Best durable Sewing Machine
It is more of a beginner’s machine than a kid’s machine. I included XL2600I on this list because of its quality and ease of use.
You can’t get a better machine for this price. If your kid is a fast learner, this machine will provide enough room for creativity. It has 25 built-in stitches, one-step buttonhole, automatic needle threader, drop-in bobbin, etc.
Even better, the thing is that, if your kid gets used to these advanced features in the early stage of sewing, it will be much easier for them to switch over to advanced sewing.
The stitch quality is excellent. The machine is not made of cheap plastic; the build quality is quite good.
This machine can deal with rough handling, take my word for it. Some might consider this machine as a little bit too much (in features) for kids, but if you are serious about teaching your kid, Brother XL2600I is a step in the right direction. It has been the best seller for quite some time now.
No major issues.
15. Janome Sew Mini 2-Stitch Sewing Machine
Janome Sew Mini is a two stitch sewing machine. It has a top-loading bobbin for easy bobbin changing. It doesn’t pack a lot of features like Brother XL2600I or Purple Thunder, but still, it is a decent machine. It is affordable, as well.
Not good with denim. The machine is loud, as well.
Best Sewing Machines For Kids Comparison Chart
|Model||Stitches||Drop-in Bobbin||Auto Needle threader||Stitches|
|Dimensions||Our pick as|
|Michley LSS-202||8||Yes||Yes||500||7.67 x 4.5 x 8.29 inches||Best Mini Sewing Machine|
|SINGER Start 1304||6||Yes||Yes||750||13 x 7 x 11.5 inches||Best Sewing Machine for Beginners|
|Brother XM 2701||27||Yes||Yes||800||12.1 x 5.9 x 15.3 inches||Best Lightweight Sewing Machine|
|Janome Pink Sorbet||15||Yes||Yes||800||16 x 7 x 12 inches||Best Easy to Use Sewing Machine|
|Brother SM1738D||17||Yes||Yes||750||17.5 x 7.5 x 14 inches||Best Brother Sewing Machine for kids|
|Costway Sewing Machine||12||Yes||Yes||1520||4.3 x 9.1 x 10.6 inches||Best Household Sewing Machine|
|Donyer Power Electric||12||Yes||Yes||850||9.4 x 9 x 5.6 inches||Best Portable Sewing Machine for kids|
|Nex Sewing Machine||12||Yes||Yes||350||10.6 x 4.7 x 9 inches||Best Sewing Machine for Teenager|
|Janome Purple Thunder||13||Yes||Yes||350||10.5 x 5 x 9 inches||Best Janome Sewing Machine for kids|
|Michley LSS – 505||8||Yes||Yes||350||10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2 inches||Best Multi Purpose Sewing Machine|
|Shendian Mini Beginner||Single||Yes||Yes||Not Specified||11.8 x 9.8 x 5.6 inches||Best Basic Sewing Machine|
|Janome 13512 Hello Kitty||15||Yes||Yes||800||10 x 5.62 x 12.75 inches||Easy to Transport|
|Brother LS2125i||2||Yes||Yes||900||15 x 6 x 11.75 inches||Easy to install |
|Brother XL2600I||25||Yes||Yes||800||12.3 x 7.7 x 9.6 inches||Best durable Sewing Machine|
This concludes my Choosing the best sewing machine for kids. If you go by pure aesthetics, you might come across even better models, but as far as quality and durability are concerned, these were the best 15 I could find.
One more piece of advice, please don’t even think of buying low-cost machines, you will end up wasting your money.
So please stay away from them. I hope this list will help you make a better decision.