Sewing machines are mostly made of steel and therefore bound to wear out of some material after constant rubbing of two pieces of metals against each other. This greatly reduces the effectiveness and efficiency of the parts.
However, all this can be avoided by oiling your sewing machine to provide a metal-protecting cushion that will extend the lifespan of your machine. Sewing Machine Oil is, therefore, essential for oiling your machine.
Sewing Machine Oil is a light, transparent, odorless synthetic lubricant. There are so many alternative options for best sewing machine oil available, ranging from three-in-one oil and Marvel Mystery oil to White Mystery Oil.
All industrial sewing machines need oil at some point in time, whether it’s using it to maintain and lubricate the working parts of the machine or looking to change the oil of your machine.
Without the Sewing Machine Oil, the working parts of your machine will wear out much faster, become tighter, and eventually cease up. The general rule of thumb is to oil your sewing machine after every 8 hours of use.
However, using the wrong sewing machine oil for your machine can be such a slippery slope for your sewing machine problems.
It’s not worth risking damage to your machine by making a misinformed choice and making things even more difficult for yourself by getting the wrong product.
What is Sewing Machine Oil?
If you are just getting started and trying to comprehend every bit about sewing machines, you are reading the right post at the moment. In this post, we will tell you as to what sewing machine oil is and what are the various types of sewing machine oil.
A sewing machine is made out of various mechanical pieces or parts and the users need to keep these pieces work smoothly. This is where sewing machine oil comes in handy. A sewing machine oil is a lubricant to help the various sewing machine pasts work without any friction and it is recommended to use it after every 8 hours of sewing.
Various Types of Sewing Machine Oil
We have categorized sewing machine oil into 3 main types based on the substances. Sewing machine oil can be Mineral Oil, Synthetic Oil, and Natural Oil. Mineral Oil is odorless, and watery white which is derived from petrochemicals. This type of oil can be the most effective one in keeping your sewing machine unimaginably smooth.
Synthetic oil is an alternative to mineral oil which is artificially produced and can be used on plastic, rubber, and painted surfaces. This type of oil is comparatively more expensive than mineral oil.
Natural oil is derived from mainly jojoba, silicone, and ester oils. This type of oil isn’t as effective as mineral or synthetic oil. It is also important to mix them properly else they might instead slow down your machine.
How to go about Choosing the Sewing Machine Oil
There are many sewing machine oil brands available in the market which along with offering you a wide range of choices also tends to make things a little difficult for you to make a choice sometimes.
However, choosing the sewing machine oil isn’t difficult as long as you know the important factors that you need to look for in the oil. Here are factors that you need to consider:
- Purpose; Home use or industrial use
- Affordable Price
- Low viscosity and Non-gumming
- Clear lubricating oil against rust and oxidation
- Easy to use
- Good brand reputation and good refund policy
What Are Some Top Sewing Machine Oil
If you are wondering as to what some of the ideal sewing machine oil is, here is our list of the 5 champion sewing machine oil:
This is a highly refined mineral oil for sewing machines which is also non-detergent. The oil is ideal for both home and industrial machines.
This is a multi-purpose sewing machine oil that is most suitable for knitting and sewing machines for a smooth performance.
This is a good sewing machine oil which is pretty good for beginners. The oil comes with low viscosity and offers a smooth and improved performance.
If you are looking for a perfect sewing machine oil for industrial and home machines, this is the one for you. The oil offers smooth performance and helps you take excellent care of your sewing machine. It can effectively clean up the rust.
This is a perfect lubricating oil for all machine parts and can largely prevent rust, oxidation, and friction. Further, the oil comes with 60 days return policy.
Reviews of the Sewing Machine Oil 2020 – (Editors’ Choice)
1. SINGER 2131E All Purpose Machine Oil – Best SINGER Sewing Machine Oil
Singer Machine Oil, 4-oz, 4-Fluid Ounce is the ideal choice for lubrication of metal parts constantly in contact with each other so as to help prevent excessive wear.
This oil also helps in the protection against damage and rust, and each bottle comes with 4-fluid ounce.
Features at a Glance
- The bottle is a 4-fluid ounce
- It aids in the protection against rust damage as well as preventing excessive wear and tear.
- It eliminates friction and also protects the metal parts.
2. 4 oz. Sewing Machine Oil – Ideal Sewing Machine Oil for the Money
Singer sewing machine oil is one of the best, and if you want to keep the parts of your machine operating smoothly, then the 4 oz Singer Sewing Machine oil is the best option.
It is formulated especially as a lubricant for sewing and knitting machines but can also be suitably used on typewriters, bicycles, household appliances, and so anymore.
Features at a Glance
- It’s all-purpose: This oil can be used to oil any other metal parts.
- It’s specifically formulated for lubricating knitting/sewing machines.
- It’s ideal for maintenance since it keeps the parts of the machines operating smoothly.
- Its spout can reach any area.
3. ZOOM-SPOUT Sewing Machine Oil – Our Recommended Sewing Machine Oil
This is Sewing Oil is not only inexpensive but also a higher quality- Lily White Sewing Machine Oil. This oil is used on a sewing machine as well as sewing related-equipment. It also has telescoping sprout which reaches those areas that can’t be easily accessed.
Features at a Glance
- OZ. 118ml Made in the USA.
- Higher Quality stainless- lily White Sewing Machine oil
- It has a telescoping spout that reaches those areas that are so difficult to access.
- Sewing Machine Oil- Zoom-Spout Oiler
- It can be used on both the sewing machine as well as the related sewing equipment.
4. Zoom Spout Sewing Machine Oiler – Best Rated Sewing Machine Oil
The new 4 Oz Zoom Spout Oil with Clear, White Sewing machine Oil is ideal for sergers, sewing machines, and the general household use. It not only lubricates but also cleans and prevents rusting.
After using the oil, see to it that you wipe off the machine so as to prevent the oil from staining the fabric. This high-quality all-purpose oil is all you need to keep your machine in tip-top shape.
Features at a Glance
- This squeezable Oiler that comes with the highest quality sewing machine oil is ideals for not only all sewing but also small machine oiling requirements.
- It’s extendable, flexible and telescoping spout goes into virtually anywhere.
- The oil is paraffin-based, non-gumming oil that prevents oxidation and rusting.
- The oil has the ability to withstand high temperatures.
- The Oiler and its oil are extensively used my sewing machine technicians and mechanics across the world.
- Its size is 4 Oz Bottle.
5. Liberty Oil, Clear Nonstaining Oil – Excellent light oil for moving parts
Liberty oil is 100 percent synthetic and comes in a 1-fluid-oz bottle as well as a stainless steel tip dispenser. Liberty oil easily outperforms any other oils in the market thanks to its premium quality 100 percent synthetic oil.
The oil comprises two friction modifiers that bond and protect the metal as well as acting like tiny ball bearings, which reduce friction and wear. The bottles are using the very soft plastic, LDPE, which is quite easy to squeeze.
Additionally, there is the provision of a 1.5-inch 18-gauge stainless steel needle tip, which is of pharmaceutical standard and contains a patented Luer lock cap to see to it that no leakage is experienced from the cap and bottle.
Features at a Glance
- Liberty Oil is 100 percent synthetic and reduces friction between any moving parts.
- It can be used as an alternative to spraying lubricants and petroleum-based lubricants.
- It’s quite safe to use on painted surfaces and plastics
- Usually, it comes with a 60-day no- questions asked return policy whereby your money will be refunded if you are not 100% satisfied.
- Also, it comes with 11/2 long medical grade stainless steel needle tip applicator necessary for precision oiling without any mess.
Are You Looking For Sewing Machine Oil? Here’s What You Need to Consider
When you purchase the sewing machine oil out there, it will not only make the machine happier, but it will also make your life much simpler since you will be using a much better and cleaner machine. Your sewing machine is such a big investment in your sewing room and must, therefore, be treated as such.
Having well services and clean machines always yield the best possible sewing results. The following are some of the reasons you should purchase the top sewing machine oil.
First, it’s important to get a good sewing machine oil, which is neither white oil nor oil from the garage you use in the car. It’s one of those above mentioned, and when oiling is done in the right way, it protects the metal parts from wear-out.
Extending the lifespan of the sewing machine
Acknowledging that the sewing machine is subject to wear and tear, it would be such an expensive affair to keep purchasing sewing machines now and then.
It’s therefore very paramount that you maintain your old machine and keep it lubricated, neither with olive oil nor vegetable oil, but with the credible sewing machine oil if you expect it to be operational for much longer.
To increase effectiveness and precision
With a well-oiled machine, the machine runs smoothly, and you get to work on as many pieces as possible. Remember to only lubricate in accordance with your sewing machine’s manual recommendations, and the oil needs to have low viscosity, high lubricating properties, non-staining, and non-drying.
Oiling your sewing machine is important, but oiling with the best sewing machine oil is much more paramount. There are so many products saturated in the market, but not all of them are as good as they claim to be.
There is a lot of products on Walmart and Amazon, but do not go for WD-40 or other similar products since it’s just a solvent but not a lubricant. Also, the 3-in-1 or similar oils turn into sludge, which will necessitate removal, and it’s very time-consuming.
If you find an old bottle of sewing machine oil and it neither clear nor colorless, simply don’t use it since it will break over time and wouldn’t do any lubrication on the parts as expected.