As a quilter, you must understand that fabrics should not just be cut with approximated measurements because they will end up messing up the quilt that you intend to make. To make perfect and precise measurements before cutting, you need to have a quilting ruler.
Just like the way you need rulers to draw neat, straight lines on your math books, quilting rulers help you do the same on fabrics. This means that you get clear guides to cut the precise sizes of fabrics, enabling you to create high-quality quilts.
However, quilting rulers are available in different types and sizes. It might be challenging to get the best one to suit your needs if you do not know what to look for. To help you get the best quilting ruler, below is an in-depth look at some of the best ones in the market, showing their features and benefits.
Are You Looking For Best Quilting Ruler? Here’s What You Need to Consider
Even though quilting rulers have grid markings that enable you to cut any size of fabric, it would be challenging to measure a 10-inch wide fabric using a 6.5-inch wide ruler. It would also be better off to cut 1” strips using a narrow ruler than a wide one.
Because of this, size is an essential factor to consider. Depending on the size of the fabric that you want to cut, a ruler can drastically reduce the cutting time if it is the right size.
If you want to cut strips that are 3/8” wide, it won’t be possible if you have a ruler with a minimum of 1/4” increments. This factor matters because it will help you know if the ruler can help you cut the fabric to the precise measurements.
Most rulers have a minimum of a 1/8” increment, but some reach a quarter while others only have the 1” grid markings. Therefore, it is essential to check out this property before buying any ruler.
A seam allowance is meant to give you the convenience of cutting your precise measurements with an extra length of fabric included for seam stitching. If a ruler has an extra 0.5” on its side, this is the extra space that is left for seam stitching.
If it’s not there, you will have to put this into consideration before cutting so you better not forget that.
Different rulers come with additional cutting options to the straight grid lines. For instance, some rulers have angled lines that make it possible to cut different types of triangular or diamond shapes. This enables you to include more creativity in your work.
Others have preset measurements drawn on them to shorten your cutting time. You might get a ruler with a preset 10” square, enabling you to cut this shape without going through the measuring process.
The best ruler should have all these features so that you can have many options at your disposal.
Quilting rulers are available in a variety of shapes. There are rectangular, square, and triangle-shaped options, among many others. The shape you buy should be guided by the type of cuts that you intend to make.
If you regularly cut long strips of fabric, a rectangular ruler is the best for you. However, if you want triangular shaped cuts for adding some decorative detail, a triangular ruler is the best one to use.
As you quilt, you will most likely encounter dark and brightly colored fabrics. To work on these different colors, you will need a ruler that has both dark and brightly colored markings so that the colors can contrast with the fabric color, leaving you with easy to see grids, lines, and numbers.
This will make your work easier because you won’t have to strain your eyes when measuring the fabrics.
Reviews of the Best Quilting Ruler 2020 – (Editors’ Choice)
1. Creative Grids 6.5″ x 24.5″ Rectangle Quilting Ruler – Best Non-Slip Quilting Ruler
The creative grids quilting ruler is a very good choice for beginners because it has very intuitive markings that make it easy to read. These markings are black and white, with the black ones showing the measurements as you read the ruler with the half-inch part being on your right.
The white ones are inverted from this position and can be read after you invert the ruler and read the measurements with the other side being on your right.
It also has two 45” lines that cut diagonally across the first and second quarters of the ruler, enabling you to cut diamond or triangularly shaped fabrics accurately conveniently. This ensures that your result has perfectly cut shapes, which makes it look very neat.
The ruler itself is rectangular, measuring 6.5” × 24.5”. It is divided into 1” grids, with each having 1/8” and 1/4” increments. This makes it possible to cut precise measurements that go up to an eighths level.
On its backside, it has embedded gripper dots that grip into the fabric to prevent slipping when cutting. They are designed to provide this grip when pressed down firmly, which means the ruler can slide freely over the fabric when pressure is not applied over it.
Features at a glance
- Easy to read black and white measurement markings.
- 6.5” × 24.5” ruler divided into 1” grids with 1/8” and 1.4” increments.
- Two 45” lines running in opposite directions on 2, quarter lengths of the ruler
- Embedded gripper dots enables it to grip onto the fabric below to prevent slipping.
- Includes a 0.5” allowance on one side to give room for seam stitching.
2. Creative Grids Stripology Quilting Ruler – Best Quilting Ruler for the Money
For the extremely busy quilter, this is a perfect addition to his/her set because it has very useful features that drastically reduce the cutting time. For starters, it has 45 and 60-degree angle lines across the grid that make it easy to cut shapes for triangles, diamonds, and others that may require such lines.
Its markings are split between black and white ones, with the black ones being upright when it’s one way up while the white being upright when held the opposite way up. This makes it easy to use because you do not require to turn it every time you get it wrong, while the different colored markings will ensure you read the correct measurements depending on the way that you are holding the ruler.
For quick cutting, it has a 10″ square template, which is regularly used in most projects. This eliminates the need for frequent measurement when dealing with a 10″ square requirement.
The ruler is quite lengthy, making its vertical strips long enough to allow the cutting of folded fat quarters. Its horizontal markings alternate between black and white markings, making it possible to spot them when working on differently colored fabrics.
Features at a glance
- Features gripper strips that hold the fabric firmly in place as you cut it with your rotary cutter.
- Black and white horizontal markings make the grid visible when placed on different colored fabrics.
- Black and white measurement markings, inverted on opposite sides for easy reading.
- Star and square markings help you cut 1.5” and 2.5” strips without measuring.
- 1/4” increments.
- QR code on its backside can be scanned to get a fully illustrated step by step guide to using this ruler.
3. Skyhawk Acrylic Quilting Rulers – Good Quality and Easy to Read
This comes as a set of 4 quilting rulers, measuring 12.5″ × 12.5″, 9.5″ × 9.5″, 6″ × 6″ and 4.5″ × 4.5″. Each of them has a 0.5″ allowance on one side to give allowance for seams to be included in the cuts. This variable size cuts down on cutting time because you can switch to the most suitably sized ruler for whichever project you are working on.
Its markings are double-colored, which makes it usable of dark or brightly colored fabrics. The yellow grid lines make every detail visible on dark fabrics while the black ones highlight the measurements on light fabrics.
Each of the ruler’s grid-lines has 1/8″, 1/4″, 1/2″ and 1″ increments, allowing you to quickly and accurately trim fabrics to the finest details. Each of them also has a right and left hand 30, 45, and 60 degree angled lines, which make it possible for both right and left-handed quilters to use the rulers when cutting triangle and diamond shapes. This makes them very practical.
Features at a glance
- Comes as a set of 4 differently sized rulers
- It is made from premium acrylic plastic, which is strong and durable.
- All the rulers except the 4.5″ one have hanging holes for easy storage on hanging pins.
- Right, and left-handed angle and numbering system make it an ambidextrous tool.
- Double colored measurement markings and grid lines make it easy to use on both light and dark fabrics.
- 1″ grids with 1/8″, 1/4″ and 1/2″ increments, with an additional half-inch on every ruler for seam allowance.
4. Creative Grids 60 Degree Quilting Ruler – Best Triangle Quilting Ruler
This is quite different from the rest because it is a 60-degree equilateral triangle ruler, with 12.5” long sides. This makes it exclusively for use in cutting triangles or other designs that may require 60” angle lines on their sides.
It has a center vertical line that splits the ruler into two 30” angled triangles to give you more options to work with. This center-line, as well as all the ruler’s sides, have a quarter-inch dashed line all round that enables you to cut the fabrics with a seam allowance. This means that you get a 12” triangle with a 1/4” all-round left for seam stitching, making the ruler very practical.
All its markings are in black and white colors, which are easy to read over different colored fabrics.
On its bottom face, the ruler has gripper dots that hold the fabric in place below the ruler as you make your cuts. This eliminates the chances of the ruler slipping, leading to miss-cuts. The grip is pressure activated, meaning that the ruler can glide easily over the fabric when not pressed on it.
Features at a glance
- Easy to read black and white markings.
- Triangle shaped with 60-degree angles on all edges.
- Center vertical line splits the triangle into two equal parts, each having a 30, 60, and 90-degree angle.
- 1/4″ dashed line all around, including on both sides of the center vertical line for seam allowance.
- 12.5″ long sides, but the 1/4″ dashed line means you get a 12″ sized triangle cut. The half-inch is meant for seams.
- Gripper dots hold the fabric in place when cutting.
- It comes with a QR code on the lower side that can be scanned to reveal the full step by step instructions for using this ruler.
5. ARTEZA 6.5” x 24” Quilting Ruler – Best Quilting Rulers for Beginners Quilter
This quilting ruler features a patented 2-color grid line, which is black and lime green. The black color makes the lines visible on brightly colored fabrics while the lime green color does the same on dark fabrics. This combination ensures that you always see what you are doing as you cut through different fabrics.
It is rectangular in shape, measuring 6.5” × 24”, making it perfect for cutting 6-inch strips. The additional half-inch gives you a seam allowance on one end, making the ruler very practical.
Apart from cutting strips, you can also use it to cut angled lines, for instance, when making a triangle or diamond art in your projects. To do this, the ruler has 30, 45, and 60-degree line markings from both the left and right side, which make it possible to use by both left and right-handed quilters. This makes it even more practical.
Construction-wise, it is made of acrylic and is 0.1” thick, making it very strong and durable. Acrylic also gives it the advantage of being easy to clean, requiring only warm water and a soft cloth.
Features at a glance
- Mirrored angled lines make it usable by both right and left-handed quilters.
- 0.1″ thick laser-cut acrylic makes it strong and durable, with very clean edges.
- 6.5″ × 24″ in size.
- 1/2″ seam allowance across its length.
- 1″ grids with 1/8″, 1/4″ and 1/2″ increments.
- Patented 2 color grid lines (black and lime green)
- Hanging hole for easy storage on a hanging pin
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If it does not meet your expectations, you can request a refund or replacement.
Top-rated Quilting Rule Comparison Chart
|Model||SIZE||GRIDS & INCREMENTS||OTHER FEATURES||EASE OF USE||Our pick as|
|Creative Grids 6.5″ x 24.5″ Rectangle Quilting Ruler Template CGR24||6.5” × 24.5”||1” grids with 1/8” and 1.4” increments||0.5” allowance on one side, Embedded gripper dots||Easy to read black and white measurement markings||Best Non-Slip Quilting Ruler|
|Creative Grids Stripology Quilting Ruler Template CGRGE1||Not specified||1/4” increments||QR code on its backside||easy reading, gripper strips||Best Quilting Ruler for the Money|
|Skyhawk Acrylic Quilting Rulers Combo Pack of 4 Quilters Rulers||4 quilting rulers, measuring 12.5″ × 12.5″, 9.5″ × 9.5″, 6″ × 6″ and 4.5″ × 4.5″||1″ grids with 1/8″, 1/4″ and 1/2″ increments||Double colored measurement markings,||easy storage on hanging pins||Good Quality and Easy to Read|
|Creative Grids 60 Degree Quilting Ruler Template [CGRT12560]||Not specified||Not specified||comes with a QR code on the lower side, Gripper dots||Easy to read black and white markings||Best Triangle Quilting Ruler |
|ARTEZA 6.5” x 24” Quilting Ruler||6.5″ × 24″||1″ grids with 1/8″, 1/4″ and 1/2″ increments||Patented 2 color grid lines,||Mirrored angled lines make it usable by both right and left-handed quilters, Hanging hole for easy storage||Best Quilting Rulers for Beginners Quilter|
As you can see, quilting rulers are essential tools for making quilts. If you try to ignore them, you will pay the price when it comes to stitching because the fabrics may not line up perfectly.
However, if you want to buy one, make sure you follow this guide and consider the rulers suggested above to get the best choice.