We humans were naked when we started our journey in this world. A study by the University of Florida shows that modern humans started wearing clothes about 170000 years ago. For many reasons, humans needed to cover their private parts; that’s another topic for discussion.
Now covering human genitalia has become a social discourse. We cannot even think of walking around naked. Probably at some point in the future, we will be naked again like our ancestors. It is just a prediction. However, I think the human race will never be fully nude again. Thus, the necessity of sewing machines will never diminish.
The art of hand sewing is over 20000 years old. People once made clothes by using their hands. After that, the sewing machine has come to reduce human labor. Day by day, by modern science’s blessings, we have experienced much development in sewing machines.
Now we can see a wide variety of sewing machines in the market. Probably shortly, we can see automatic sewing machines that do not need any human to operate. We already have some semi-automatic sewing machines used on garments and buying houses.
Anyways, let us put the history aside and talk about the best portable sewing machines. What is a portable sewing machine? Wonder no more. It is a type of sewing machine lightweight and easily transportable from one place to another.
In this article, I will review some of the most excellent portable sewing machines of the present time so that you can buy one with no hassle. Let’s get started.
What is the Best Portable Sewing Machine?
Portable sewing machines are easy to carry, and you can take one with you anywhere you go, even while you are traveling. Even though many good portable sewing machines are available in the market these days, it may not be easy to choose the best portable sewing machine for your project by yourself.
However, we can certainly help you quickly find the best portable sewing machine. This post features the four best portable sewing machines, and we selected them after testing over ten sewing machines spending some hours.
Singer Simple 3232 is an excellent option to try if you are looking for a portable sewing machine. The 110 Stitch Applications machine is made out of a heavy metal frame and is perfect for beginners. You should find it easy to use because it comes with an automatic needle threader that makes threading unimaginably simple.
The high presser foot lifter helps users in sewing multiple layers of thick fabric. Besides, it also comes with an automatic reverse sewing machine to conveniently sew in reverse. 3232 has 32 built-in stitches, including a built-in 1-step buttonhole. Using 3232, you can sew at a speed of 750 stitches per minute at the max.
Brother CS6000i is a pretty popular sewing machine and can be a perfect option for beginners. The machine comes with 60 built-in stitches comprising decorative stitches and seven auto-size buttonholes. The automatic needle threader, along with the drop-in top bobbin, makes threading ridiculously simple.
Besides, CS6000i comes with a 2.0″ LCD to select your stitches and preview them on display before stitching. The machine includes various accessories such as a Wide Table, ten sewing feet, a needle set including a twin needle, and a hard protective case.
Varmax Mini is another excellent portable sewing machine, and the machine is quite a space saver. Despite being a mini sewing machine, Varmax is pretty advanced. The sewing machine comes with a large extension table for more convenience of sewing, and you can sew both sleeves and trousers using the special cuff slot.
Another handy feature that this machine has is the built-in light for better visibility during work. You can most importantly finish your sewing without knotting since the machine includes Double Threads and Two Speed Control. Varmax is an ideal machine for beginners, and you can use it for crafting and home sewing projects.
Brother XM2701 is a lightweight sewing machine with 27 stitches and 6 included feet. The stitches include decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches, and an auto-size buttonhole. Threading is effortless since XM2701 comes with an automatic needle threader and a jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin.
You can use XM2701 for a wide range of daily projects. Besides, the machine comes with six sewing feet, a 3-piece needle set, twin needle, four bobbins, an instructional DVD, a manual, and more.
So, these were our favorite four best portable sewing machines, and all of them are extremely popular for sure. All four sewing machines are extremely easy to use yet advanced. You can pick any of them and easily carry one along with you to carry on with your sewing.
Reviews of the Portable Sewing Machine for Beginners 2021 – (Editors’ Choice)
When it comes to buying portable sewing machines, an in-depth research is necessary. The market may seem to offer many products of interest, but do not be deceived. Most of the products are cheaply constructed, therefore not suitable for perfect sewing.
If you want to convey in-depth research, you might have to invest your labor and time. Time is money nowadays. Nobody has that much time, I know. Therefore, I, with my team, researched the market wholly.
We have found the eight most amazing portable sewing machines that are perfect in every sense. Let us see the reviews of the best portable sewing machines without wasting more time.
1. Brother CS6000i
In every sewing machine review, you will always find one name, ‘Brother.’ Without Brother, sewing machine reviews will forever remain incomplete. They are one of the most reliable names in the sewing machine industry.
They make sewing machines to satisfy their customers. The Brother Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine are the greatest inventions loaded with all the essential features. Let’s see the significant aspects of this product briefly:
- Weight: Weight is the central aspect of a portable sewing machine. If the machine is heavyweight, it is not highly portable. With only 13 pounds of weight, this one gets the highest mark.
- Construction: Though it is lightweight, I do not think it flimsy. It is built with top quality materials. Therefore, the machine is highly durable.
- Ease of Use: the machine is designed in a user-friendly manner. You can use it with less hassle. The stitch selector switch is convenient.
- Working Space: The machine also has an extensive working table to handle large projects.
- Other Features: You will get an automatic needle threader that pushes the thread through the needle correctly, adjustable sewing speed for easy controlling, and a built-in free arm for sewing sleeves, legs, and other cylindrical items.
2. SINGER Start 1304
SINGER is another top name in the sewing machine industry. People usually know Singer for their top quality electronic devices. However, in the Sewing machine industry, they are the only brand compete with Brothers.
SINGER has made the highest quality sewing machines, quilting machines, embroidery machines, and portable sewing machines for many years. This SINGER Start 1304 is one of their most excellent portable sewing machines. It has everything you can ask for. Let’s see the features quickly:
- Weight: Only with 11.5 pounds, it is one of the highly portable machines in the market. You can transport from one place to another without any problem. Though the machine is lightweight, it is not cheaply constructed. SINGER used top quality material to form this machine. Thus, it will serve you for many years.
- Built-in Stitches: You will get six built-in stitches, a straight stitch, a satin stitch, a ZigZag stitch, a blind hem, a scallop, and a buttonhole in this machine.
- Accessories: The machine offers everything, including all-purpose foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Foot Control, Power Line Cord, Seam Ripper, Spool Pin Felt, Needle Plate Screwdriver, Bobbins, Needle Plate Screwdriver, and so on. Your sewing will be pleasurable for sure with all these accessories.
- Instruction: SINGER also provides a quick start guide along with an instruction manual. In the manual, everything is well written. You do not have to take any kind of pain operating the machine.
3. SINGER Simple 3232
One thing about SINGER sewing machines is that it will never let you down. Customer satisfaction is the primary concern. Thus, they always try to make something extra-ordinary. This SINGER Simple 3232 Portable Sewing Machine is archetypal of a quality sewing machine.
The weight of the machine is perfect. It also has all the necessary features included to make your task easier. Let’s see the main aspects of the SINGER 3232 Portable Sewing Machine quickly.
- Built-in Stitches: The SINGER 3232 Sewing Machine offers 32 built-in stitches and an integrated 1-step buttonhole. Switching stitches is easier than ever with a button.
- Easy Threading: A high-quality automatic needle threader is included on the machine to make the threading process more comfortable than ever. You can thread the entire machine from the spool to the needle’s eye within a moment and without any problem.
- Maximum Speed: The machine offers a maximum speed of 750 stitches-per minute. If you are thinking of a portable sewing machine that can handle large projects, this the one you need to pick.
- Weight and Construction: The SINGER 3232 weighs only 12.2 pounds. Carrying it from one place to another will not be a big issue. Though the machine is lightweight, do not consider it light. It is exceptionally well built with the highest quality materials.
- High Presser Foot Lifter: With the sewing machine, you can sew several thick fabric layers, thanks to the high presser foot lifter. You can also raise the presser foot according to your needs.
- Reverse Mode: The machine also has a push-button for reverse sewing.
4. Brother CS5055PRW
The Brother International Corporation is one of the reputed brands with all their top quality sewing machines. This Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine is another top portable sewing machine.
The product is well constructed, extremely lightweight, acceptably priced, and loaded with all the essential features. You will be amazed to have it. Let’s see why:
- Built-in Stitches: The machine will give you fifty stitches, including five auto-sized buttonholes. Swathing from one stitch to another is very simple with a push button.
- Construction: The machine is extremely lightweight; therefore, highly portable. That is why often people think of this one as less durable. However, the truth is, it is one of the most reliable machines in the market. Brother has made it using all the top quality materials. It will serve you several years without any problem.
- LCD Screen: You can select your stitches with the push button and check the LCD screen’s status.
- Automatic Needle Threader: There is an excellent automatic needle threader included to make your life easier.
- Accessories: The machine comes with a soft cover, seven sewing feet, a Drop-in top Bobbin, and an instruction manual to make your task easier.
5. SINGER Heavy Duty 4423
Do not feel disappointed by the repetition of SINGER and Brother. There are no other brands in the market to compete with these two in terms of quality portable sewing machines. Therefore, we only have products, whether from SINGER or Brother.
Anyways, this SINGER 4423 Sewing Machine is an excellent choice for the price. The product is lightweight and ideal for carrying from one place to another. It has all the essential features included to make your sewing time pleasant. Let’s see the main features quickly.
- Stitches: There are 23 built-in stitches included on the machine, including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches. You can handle various projects, including fashions, home décor, quilting, crafts, and whatnot!
- Speed: You will get a maximum sewing speed of 1100 stitches per minute. Therefore, you can finish your task quickly. The motor is sixty percent stronger than most of the portable sewing machines in the market.
- Built-Quality: Singer 4423 is a heavy-duty sewing machine work like a horse. The motor is powerful, and the interior is made of the most influential metal frame and stainless steel bed frame. The machine is long-lasting and durable. It is highly recommended for commercial use.
- Automatic Needle Threader: You will also get an excellent quality automatic needle threader on the machine that will make threading effortless and keep your eyesight sound.
- Accessories: You will get many accessories, including an All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, and many others. You will also get a dust cover in the packaging.
6. SINGER 9960
The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Portable Sewing Machine is one of the weighty products compared to other products on our list. The machine is about 20 pounds. It is because of the solid construction.
The machine is extremely well built with the most reliable materials. Thus, the weight is a bit more. However, it will serve you many years without any problem. Moreover, because of the weight, carrying will not be a problem. Let see the main features quickly:
- Needle Threader: The machine features an automatic needle threader that helps thread from spool to the needle’s eye quickly and easily. You can stay away from eyestrain and frustration, thanks to the needle threader.
- Speed: The SINGER 9960 offers a maximum speed of 850 stitches per minute. You can handle a large project with no issue. It will be quicker than most of the machines in the market.
- Stitches and Others: The machine offers 600 built-in stitches with five Alphanumeric Fonts. You will also get 13 built-in 1-step buttonholes and an Exclusive Buttonhole underplate. Moreover, it has a Mirror imagining and stitch elongation system included.
- Accessories: You will get several Presser Foot, including All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, and so many more.
7. Brother XM1010
The Brother Sewing Machine XM1010 offers a good number of features to fulfill your creative dreams. You will get a large selection of stitches that includes basic, stretch, and decorative stitches.
The machine is ideal for fashion sewing, quilting, home décor, and crafting. Overall, it is an outstanding product for the price. Let’s see the main features of the product:
- Weight: The machine is extremely lightweight. Yet, it is constructed with top quality materials. You can easily carry the machine from one place to another, and it can serve you for many years.
- Built-In Stitches: The Brother XM1010 comes with ten built-in utility and decorative stitches and an auto-size buttonhole. You can use it for a variety of tasks.
- Needle Threader and Drop-In Top Bobbin: The machine also has an excellent automatic needle threader included that can ideally push the thread through a needle. You will also get an excellent jam-resistant drop-in bobbin.
- Free Arm: It is a free arm sewing machine that is highly versatile. You can use it for everyday sewing tasks. The machine is ideal for both advanced and beginner users.
- Additional Accessories: Features four sewing feet with instruction manual and DVD.
8. SINGER Talent 3323
The SINGER Talent 3323 is the last product on our today’s review. But do not consider it the least. With the Talent 3223, SINGER offers a limited time warranty for adjustments, belts, rings, bulbs, and attachments.
Also, they offer an extended warranty period for large parts like motors, light assembly, wiring, switches, speed control, and electronic components. This product has everything you can ask for your sewing machine. Yet the price is reasonable. Talent 3323 is an outstanding choice. Let’s see the features:
- Stitches: The SINGER Talent 3323S portable sewing machine comes with 23 built-in stitches, one built-in 1-step buttonhole to handle different projects and fabrics.
- Needle Threader: The built-in needle threader will make your threading job easier. You don’t have to put any pressure on your eyes.
- Reverse Mode: There is a reverse mode included. You can just press the reverse button to sew on the opposite side.
- Accessories: The machine also features several additional accessories, including General Presser Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Sewing Foot, and so on. You will also get a soft-sided dust cover.
What do you think as you have read the reviews of all the eight products? Tell us your opinion on the comment section below. We are now moving to the next part, where we will talk about some essential comparisons. Let’s begin:
What do We Need to Consider When Buying Portable Sewing Machine for Beginners?
When it comes to buying the best portable sewing machine, there are certain things you need to be aware of. Otherwise, you might end up with a worse sewing machine. Not all portable sewing machines in the market are good enough to use.
The question is how one can understand which machines are good, which machine is not. Well, if you are in the sewing zone for some years, you can skip this part.
You are already having enough idea about machines. If you are a newbie in the sewing business, this section is vital for you. Here, I will share some essential buying tips briefly. Let’s begin:
When it comes to the portable sewing machine, weight is the most critical factor to consider. If the machine is overweight, you cannot carry it properly. This ruins the primary condition of portability. On the other hand, if the machine is exceptionally light, it might be flimsy. Therefore, look for a sewing machine well-constructed and comes in standard weight.
All the sewing machine above differs in power. It is the motor power that determines how fast and efficiently the machine will perform. Everyone wants a sewing machine that offers a higher stitching speed. It helps to complete a task quickly.
If the machine provides good motor power, it can handle thick fabric properly. So, while shopping for a portable sewing machine, try to pick one with good motor power. Believe me, it will create all the differences, and you will thank me later.
It depends on you. All the sewing machine comes with some built-in stitches. Some offer more, whereas some offer less. If you want a sewing machine for regular use, you can look for a sewing machine with lesser stitches. If you need a sewing machine for commercial use, you should look for a good number of stitches.
Automatic Needle Threader
Look for a machine that has an automatic needle threader feature included. Otherwise, you have to manually thread the needle eye, which is the most irritating job. Most of the modern sewing machines have this feature included. All of our products have an automatic needle threader included. You can have one from there as well.
The controlling system is another essential factor you should consider. A portable sewing machine can be controlled mechanically, electronically, or automatically. Before you, a sewing machine, know which controlling system is comfortable for you.
Pressure Foot keeps the fabric in place in times of operation. It keeps the pressure on the garment so that it stays flat and prevent mirroring. There are some presser foot available. Some machine includes all type of presser foot. You can even be brought them separately if you wish.
We all have a budget of our own, and we cannot cross our limits. But there is an old saying that goes like this, “you will get what you pay for!” To some extent, it is true. If you don’t get the best one, you have to spend a bit more.
Even if it costs a bit more, professionals were advised to pick the best product, and they said to consider it an investment. If you select the best, it will serve you for several years.
Sometimes the warranty gives us trust in the product we are purchasing. It is as if the product is good enough. Thus, the company declared a warranty period. They know their product will not be damaged or ruined by that time. So, it increases the trust flow among the consumers.
Also, if you pick one that has warranty time, you will get free services if necessary. A sewing machine is a costly investment; why take any risk?
How To Refill A Bobbin On A Portable Sewing Machine?
Winding a bobbin on a portable sewing machine is a little different from a full-size sewing machine. You see, portable sewing machines have compact formation. Because of their special formation, few things vary between a portal and a full-size sewing machine.
As a result, bobbin winding also differs from a full-size sewing machine. We will be guiding you step by step with the bobbin winding/refilling process. Follow the instructions below.
Since we have mentioned refilling specifically, you might be new to the portable sewing machine. And, you might not know how to disengage the bobbin from the bobbin post. Let’s start from there.
As you could have an empty bobbin, you need to take the empty bobbin out of the post to refill it. You need to pull the post containing the bobbin.
After you take out the post, you will see a spring to come out with it too. Now, keep the spring aside and take out the bobbin from the bobbin post. Keep the post and the spring in a safe space, and make sure you don’t lose them. They are tiny; you might lose them.
As you have the empty bobbin in your hand, you start the process of refilling it. To refill it, you have to install it in the hand-wheel by the machine’s left-hand side. In the hand-wheel, you will find a bobbin winding pin.
This step is different in a portable sewing machine. In the full-size sewing machine, you find the bobbin winding pin on the machine’s topside, and the hand-wheel stays by the right-hand side.
The bobbin winding post stays inside of the hand-wheel in a portable sewing machine. Thus, you need to take it out. To take it out, you need to press and move it anti-clockwise. The winding post should after this step.
Once the bobbin winding post is out, you need to place a spool of thread in the pin, placed on the top of the machine. You can call the pin, spool pin too. You should put the thread spool in the sin in a way, so the thread comes out from the right-hand side.
Take the bobbin, and check if there is any extra thread left. Pull out the remaining thread from the bobbin. Now, wind the thread a little on the bobbin in hand before setting it on the winding pin. Be careful; you have to start wrapping the thread from the beneath of the bobbin.
Next, you set the hand threaded bobbin on the bobbin post. After you put it in the bobbin post, you need to rotate the hand-wheel anti-clockwise.
To start winding, gently press the bobbin winding post. And, the machine will start winding the bobbin. There is no function of thread guides on the portable sewing machine bobbin winding process. You need to hold the thread and keep the thread a little loose and hold the thread tight from the bobbin before you press the bobbin winding post. Guide the thread even all over the bobbin, so the thread is equally threading on the bobbin.
When you see the bobbin filling, you can turn of the winding process. Next, you take out the bobbin from the winding post and cut the thread to separate the bobbin. And, the bobbin is refilled.
How To Install The Bobbin In the Bobbin House On Portable Sewing Machines?
Portable sewing machines have top drop-in bobbin. And the installing process is straightforward and similar to a full-size machine. All you need to do is, open the bobbin in case, and put it inside. Then, guide the thread through notches of the shuttle. Next, you put out the thread and close the bobbin case.
How To Thread The Needle On Portable Sewing Machines?
The needle threading is also quick and the same as a full-size threading machine. For your convenience, these machines come with a needle threader. You will find it hard to guide the thread through posts if you don’t use the needle thread. As the machine is small in size, your hand won’t reach all the machine corners.
On A Final Note
A portable sewing machine can be an efficient tool. You can take it anywhere you need and utilize it. We hope you have learned how to refill a bobbin in these sewing machines. To thread the bobbin properly, you can read a step and perform it. That way, our guide will be most useful for you! Our additional sections will also help if you didn’t know about the bobbin installation and needle threading.
Portable Sewing Machine for Beginners Comparison Chart
|Model||Stitches||Drop-in Bobbin||Auto Needle threader||Stitches|
|Brother CS6000i Sewing and Quilting Machine||60||Yes||Yes||850||16 x 6.7 x 11.4 inches|
|SINGER Start 1304 6 Built-in Stitches||6||Yes||Yes||850||13 x 7 x 11.5 inches|
|SINGER Simple 3232 Portable Sewing Machine||32||Yes||Yes||750||15 x 7.5 x 12 inches|
|Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW||50||Yes||Yes||850||19.48 x 10.75 x 15.96 inches|
|SINGER 4423 Sewing Machine||23||Yes||Yes||1100||15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches|
|SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960||600||Yes||Yes||850||17.2 x 8.2 x 12 inches|
|Brother Sewing Machine XM1010||10||Yes||Yes||750||15.4 x 5.8 x 12.1 inches|
|SINGER Talent 3323 Portable Sewing Machine||23||Yes||Yes||750||15 x 7.5 x 12 inches|
From the above discussion, it is evident that a portable sewing machine’s critical factor is the weight. In terms of weight, lesser is good. The less the weight of the machine, the more portable it is. That is why always remember to check out the weight before buying a portable sewing machine.
However, you have to remember that lightweight machines are not still reliable. Therefore, look for a machine that is light but solidly constructed for long-term use. All the eight best portable sewing machines on our lists are constructed this way.
They are lightweight but sturdy in terms of construction. You can pick one from the above list without any tension. Still, nobody is forcing you to buy from us; you are free to try on other sources. However, if you need the best one, these are the right products.
I am leaving you right now. If you need to know anything else, feel free to comment. We will soon meet again with lots of other tips, tricks, and hacks related to sewing, so keep visiting our blog.