About two types of mini sewing machines are available in the U.S. There are handheld and tabletop types.
You will be better off going with tabletop ones as they are much closer to a regular sewing machine, and you can do much more than a handheld sewing machine.
Moreover, most handheld sewing machines don’t last long; they are more of a ‘use and throw’ kind.
Reviews of the Mini Sewing Machines 2021 – (Editors’ Choice)
In this list, we are talking about the top 4 best tabletop mini sewing machines. We have omitted those models which don’t satisfy the quality standards we have set at Sewing Machines View.
We value money a lot, so we never recommend low-quality machines.
1. SINGER Pixie-Plus Craft Machine
Singer Pixie Plus is a reasonably good mini sewing machine. It will be perfect for some quick, basic works like mending or crafting. It has much more variety in stitches than the previous two machines on this list.
This machine looks like a compressed version of a regular sewing machine. It has a dial for stitch selection.
It has eight built-in stitches, which is the highest for any machine on this list. It can be operated on batteries and AC power. It has top drop-in bobbin 2-speed sewing. It is a great machine for kids as it is very user-friendly. The price seems justifiable.
Picking up the bobbin thread can take some getting used to. There won’t be much trouble once you get the hang of it.
2. Michley LSS – 202 Sewing Machine
This is the very affordable sewing machine in our list of mini sewing machines in the U.S. Even though it is one of the least expensive machines around; its quality is not that bad.
Some people consider machines like this as a toy. But Michley LSS – 202 is much more than a toy machine.
It is a useful mini sewing machine, in particular for fixing fabrics here and there.
The machine comes with some nice features like the top drop-in bobbin, two-speed sewing, etc. It runs on batteries and power. It is the lightest machine on this list.
It doesn’t do the reverse. It doesn’t have a light. Honestly, you can’t expect these features from such an inexpensive machine.
3. Michley LSS – 505
This is the best mini sewing machine available in the U.S. It is also the second most expensive sewing machine on this list. It has eight built-in stitches that are the most for any mini sewing machine.
This is also the most popular mini sewing machine in U.S. Statistics show that 11 Michley LSS – 505 are sold by the time when 1 Janome Sew Mini is sold.
So you can figure out how popular it is.
It has reverse sewing functionality. It has a built-in LED light. AC and battery operation. Eight built-in stitches. It is an excellent machine for small repairs. It ideally suits people who are looking to take their first step in sewing.
4. Michley LSS – 338 Sewing Machine
This is the least expensive mini sewing machine on this list. It has 2-speed sewing. Sewing is done using the foot pedal or the hand switch.
Even with all the useful features, we are not quite impressed with the overall quality on offer.
It has a top drop-in bobbin, which is very useful for a beginner. Another good thing is that you can adjust the stitch width. It has reverse stitch capability as well. This is the lightest sewing machine on this list.
The quality of stitches is not quite up to the standard.
Mini Sewing Machines Comparison Chart
|Model||Stitches||Drop-in Bobbin||Auto Needle threader||Stitches|
|SINGER Pixie-Plus Craft||8||Yes||Yes||550||11 x 10 x 10.5 inches|
|Michley LSS – 202||8||Yes||Yes||500||7.67 x 4.5 x 8.29 inches|
|Michley LSS – 505||8||Yes||Yes||850||10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2 inches|
|Michley LSS – 338||8||Yes||Yes||600||9 x 5 x 9 inches|
Are You Looking For Mini Sewing Machines? Here’s What You Need to Consider
It may feel like a daunting task when you are looking out in the market to buy mini-sewing machines. This is often due to the various models, brands, and types of machines that are out there in the market. It can often leave you confused with all the available options available for you to choose from.
However, when you consider buying a mini-sewing machine, you have to consider a few important things. If you consider the below mentioned things before you make a purchase, you can be assured of getting the best value for your money by all means. We list out these important things below that you can take into consideration before you make a purchase.
Getting the Basics Right
One of the foremost things you would have to consider in a sewing machine is getting the basics right. This can help you get along with any sewing quite easily. There are a few things that make up for the basics of a mini-sewing machine, and they are as follows:
- Metal Parts: Buying a mini-sewing machine that is made mostly of metal parts is important. This is essential because plastic parts are likely to break or get damaged quite easily. However, metal parts withstand the test of time. A metal rotary hook that goes around in a circle can help you to avoid jams. You may want to avoid hooks that spin back and forth.
- Open Arm: You can see that modern machines come with this feature. To slide towards one arm in a bid to sew legs or pants or sleeves, you may need this feature.
- Universal Pressure: A machine with universal pressure helps adjust towards the varying thickness of the material used. It would prevent materials from getting jammed while using thicker ones.
- Easy Threading: Machines that thread easily is suggested by experts for beginners or the ones using mini-sewing machines.
Variety of Stitching Options
The mini-sewing machine that you purchase should allow you to use different stitching options. Some of the basic stitching options that you may use include:
- Blind hem
- Stretch straight
- Straight stitch
Electronic or Mechanical
The two major mini-sewing machines available are electronic and mechanical ones available in the market. Choosing a solid-state mini-sewing machine that is electronic can help you sew with multiple layers of material. It also enables you to sew with thicker materials like denim or leather.
Turning dials manually would be necessary with mechanical sewing machines. So, depending on what projects you wish to undertake, you can choose between electronic or mechanical mini-sewing machines.
Additional or Add-On Features
Always look for a machine that has provisions for features to be added on at a later point when you are in the process of sewing.
Some machines come with in-built features, while others have options of adding them on when necessary.
If your mini-sewing machine comes with either of these, it should be a good bargain for you.
Size and Weight
Always consider the size and weight of the mini-sewing machine that you wish to purchase. This depends on the space you have available for your sewing needs and how versatile or mobile you want the sewing machine.
A machine that is too heavy or big might not be ideal for most people. Hence, considering these are important for you while selecting a mini-sewing machine.
Budget, Service, and Warranty
These three are considered the most important for any mini-sewing machine. The mini-sewing machine that you wish to purchase should not go beyond your budget.
Apart from the budget, the service availability of the machine should also be good. With good service and warranty provided by the manufacturer, you can ensure that you can get the desired help you wish for in times of need.
How to Thread a Mini Sewing Machine?
I understand the kind of excitement one would usually have as one buys a mini sewing machine for the first time. Many cute Mini sewing machines are around these days. However, apart from the brilliant compact look, mini sewing machines can be challenging to thread.
If you have just bought a sewing machine and are wondering how to thread it, I will explain and help you quickly comprehend everything you need to know to thread your mini sewing machine. We will get deep into how you can thread your mini sewing machine most appropriately. So, let’s jump in.
To begin with, you must first place your spool (thread) on the spindle. The spindle is at the top of the machine. After that, you have to get your thread through 7 places. In the final step, you would need to pass the thread through the needle eye.
How To Thread A Mini Sewing Machine In 7 Simple Steps
- First, you have to place your thread spool on the spindle and pass your thread through the first coil, from right to left.
- Next, you must pass your thread through the tension controller towards the left side, which has the same purple color as the bobbin. The tension controller comprises two metal discs, and you must pass your thread between the two discs. Right after you do that, you will experience tension in the thread.
- You can now pass your thread through the second coil, just as you did with the first coil. You must pass the thread from right to left.
- You must pass the thread through the up-down lever positioned on the machine’s head after you do that. The lever has a hole in it through which you could put your thread from right to left.
- In the fifth step, you would need to pass your thread through another coil located below the lever, and this time, you are going pass the thread from top to down direction.
- Next, look for the little metal plate where the needle sites, and you will notice a hole slightly above the needle. You must pass your thread through this hole.
- Once you do that, it’s time that you put the thread through the eye of the needle. To get the needle’s eye visible, you can get the needle a little up and have the handwheel face towards you. You could pass the thread from right to left and pull the threader a bit backward from the needle’s eye.
You finally have threaded your mini sewing, and I am sure it should not be difficult anymore to know how to do it. However, you have to bear in mind not to yank the threaded needle to get extra thread. Doing this can damage your needle and even the lever.
The best way you can pull out extra thread is by grabbing the thread on the left of the tension controller and pulling it down vertically. That way, you can create a loop of additional thread.
This concludes our list of Top Best Mini Sewing Machines In U.S., To be honest with you, none of these machines can supplement the quality and variety offered by a regular sewing machine.
But still, the top 3 ranked machines are fully capable of handling small and basic sewing tasks. We hope this will help you make a decision.
Happy sewing. 🙂