Editor’s Choice Best Long Arm Quilting Machines
Below is a list of top 7 long arm quilting machines that we have come up with after long hours of research and testing. Go through the list and pick your most preferred option.
Juki TL-2010Q 9″ Long-arm Machine
Juki’s TL-2010Q is the top-rated long arm quilting machine in this review and this is because it has a lot of beneficial features that make quilting a lot easier.
For starters, the unit comes with a GQ quilting frame, which is a very high quality, top of the line metallic frame that is designed to give you a one of a kind quilting experience. Basically, it enables you to lay out the material or fabric in a larger area so that you can work on it easily.
This frame is made of steel and features a full dual-wheel system that provides smoother movement and, in the end, results in better stitch quality as well as enhanced accuracy and motion.
On the actual machine, it is not computerized (features only a straight stitch), but it is very portable, unlike this large GQ frame that it comes with.
This machine has several features such as stitch speed control (max 1500 stitches per minute), automatic thread trimming, stitch length adjustment, needle up/down position setting, reverse stitching, an automatic needle threader and an extension table for smaller quilts that may not require the large GQ frame.
Another important feature that makes the TL-2010Q stand out is a QuiltCad pattern design software, which lets you print out custom-sized borders, blocks and pantographs conveniently from your home computer.
Apart from the GQ frame, other accessories that come with this machine include 100 organ brand universal sewing needles and 20 free metal L bobbins.
Features at a glance
- Comes with a large, steel GQ quilting frame, with a dual wheel system that enables fabrics to move smoothly through.
- Portable electronic sewing machine with a single straight stitch.
- Stitch speed control (max 1500 spm).
- Automatic thread trimming.
- Stitch length adjustment.
- Reverse stitching.
- Needle up/down position setting.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Comes with an extension table, 100 universal sewing needles, and 20 bobbins.
Juki TL2000QI Long-Arm Sewing & Quilting Machine
If you are looking for a sturdily built long arm quilting machine, then Juki’s TL2000QI is a good option to consider. This is because it has a strong aluminum die-cast frame that holds all the components together and also reduces vibrations as it runs, making it very quiet.
This semi-industrial sewing machine is also a workhorse, featuring a powerful motor, which gives it a top speed of 1500 stitches per minute.
On operations, the unit comes with a 1/5-inch quilting foot, an even feed foot and an extension table, all of which make it easy to work on heavy materials and fabrics such as denim and thick quilts.
On top of this, the TL2000QI has a true drop feed system and this makes it very good in creating top quality freehand quilts.
In terms of accessories, apart from the extension table, the machine also comes with a ruler foot, extra bobbins, extra sewing feet as well as oil and a screwdriver for maintenance purposes.
Other features include one pedal control for adjusting the stitching speed, an automated thread trimming system, LED lights for lighting up the work area, which is especially good if you are working on dark fabrics, stitch length adjustment and stitch reverse.
On the downside, this TL2000QI is an electronic sewing machine, which means that it has only a single straight stitch. Therefore, if you are looking for a machine with multiple stitch patterns, this might not be the best option, but it is a workhorse when it comes to straight stitching.
Features at a glance
- Electronic sewing machine with a single straight stitch, reverse stitching and an adjustable stitch length.
- Strongly built quilting machine with a firm aluminum die-cast frame.
- Top speed of 1500 stitches per minute.
- Suitable for working on thick quilts and heavy fabrics such as denim.
- Drop feed system for creating freehand quilts.
- Comes with a number of accessories, which include an extension table, multiple bobbins, extra sewing feet, oil, and a screwdriver, among many other things.
- Pedal control for stitching speed adjustment.
Grace Q’nique Long Arm Quilting Machine
Although relatively expensive, Grace’s Q’nique long arm quilting machine has the features that justify its price. For starters, the unit features a stitch regulation function, which basically knows every time you speed up or slow down so as to adjust the stitching speed accordingly, leaving you with a consistent stitch length.
For the actual stitching, this unit has 4 different stitching modes and these include a precise mode in which you control the stitch per inch, a cruise mode where you set the stitches per inch as well as the minimum stitch speed, baste mode where you set the basting stitch length to short, medium or long and lastly, manual mode where you control the stitching speed yourself.
In terms of design, the Q’nique is built in the most ergonomic way, featuring comfort grip handles with convenient quick-access buttons for easy control over the whole quilting process.
In addition to this, every inch of the machine is finely crafted and tuned so that it can comfortably reach its top speed of 1800 stitches per minute. This enables you to blast through your quilting projects faster, without any worry of one of the parts taking off.
Other features include a bright OLED screen that shows the easy to navigate menu as well as all the settings for adjusting the machine’s performance, integrated LED lights for lighting up the work area, multiple accessory ports for attaching convenient add-ons and a large 14+ inch throat space, which lets you sew larger patterns and blocks more conveniently.
Features at a glance
- Stitch regulation function.
- 4 different stitching modes (precise, cruise, baste and manual modes).
- Ergonomic design with comfort grip handles that have convenient quick-access buttons for easy control.
- Tuned and finely crafted to comfortable reach 1800 stitches per minute.
- Bright OLED display for navigating through the menus and settings.
- Integrated LED lights for lighting up the work area.
- Multiple accessory ports for attaching convenient add-ons.
- Large 14+ inch throat space.
Brother PQ1500SL Quilting and Sewing Machine
Brother is a well-known brand in the sewing and quilting machine segment and its PQ1500SL is designed to perform exceptionally well in both regular sewing and quilting.
This machine is electronic with a single straight stitch, and it is designed as a semi-industrial unit, having a lighting fast stitching speed of 1500 stitches per minute.
It also has a convenient push-button automatic thread trimmer, which allows you to save time without compromising on the quality of your quilting projects, and a needle threader, which saves on time and makes it easy to begin stitching using a new thread.
One of the key highlights of this machine, however, is its 4 feed dog height adjustments, which give you maximum fabric control. On top of this, an adjustable pin feed mechanism allows you to exchange the use of the feed dogs for a single pin and this lets you move all the fabric layers without leaving any feed dog mark on any of the layers.
For convenience, the PQ1500SL features a built-in knee lifter, which makes it very easy to raise or lower the presser foot hands-free. This leaves your hands to work on moving and adjusting the position of the fabric with ease.
Other features a work area LED light, heavy duty construction for durability and stability, telescopic thread stand for cone thread usage, a thread tension dial and an extra-large extension table for working on large projects.
Features at a glance
- Electronic straight stitch machine with a stitching speed of 1500 stitches per minute.
- Convenient push button automatic thread trimmer.
- Automatic needle threader.
- 4 feed dog height adjustments for maximum fabric control.
- Adjustable pin feed mechanism allows you to exchange the use of feed dogs for a single pin that does not leave any mark on your fabric.
- Built-in knee lifter for hands free raising or lowering of the presser foot, leaving your hands free to handle the fabric.
- Work area LED lights.
- Durable and stable heavy-duty construction.
- Telescopic thread-stand for cone thread usage.
- Thread tensioning dial.
- Comes with an extra-large extension table for working on large projects.
SINGER 8500Q Computerized Portable Sewing and Quilting Machine
If you want a multiple stitch long arm quilting machine, then Singer’s 8500Q is one of the best options to consider. This is because it is a computerized sewing-and-quilting machine, with 215 built-in stitch patterns that include 9 basic, 6 stretch, 17 quilting, 176 decorative and 6 buttonhole stitches. Combined, all these allow you to sew in a variety of projects in fashion, home décor, crafts and of course, quilts.
To select between all these, the unit features an LCD screen that provides clear and easy viewing of the stitch settings such as the number of the selected stitch, an image of the selected stitch and the stitch width and length settings. It also has selector dials for navigating through all these settings.
On matters convenience, this machine features a long arm design plus a large extension table, which gives you up to 25-inches of extra sewing space for working on large quilts. It also features a knee lifter, which enables you to lift the presser foot hands-free, giving you the convenience of using your hands to adjust and feed the fabric to the machine.
The presser foot control pressure is also set automatically, and this basically means that the amount of pressure exerted by the presser foot on the fabric is adjusted automatically so that you can quilt on lightweight to heavy fabrics without worrying about making these adjustments manually.
Other features include a top drop-in bobbin system with a clear cover, programmable needle up/down, an independent bobbin winding system, stitch memory with editing, 13 needle positions, a heavy-duty metallic frame.
Features at a glance
- Computerized sewing machine with 215 built-in stitch patterns (9 basic, 6 stretch, 17 quilting, 176 decorative and 6 buttonhole stitches).
- An LCD screen for clear and easy viewing of the stitch selection and settings.
- Large extension table that gives you up to 25 inches of extra quilting space.
- Knee lifter gives you a hands-free presser foot lifting experience.
- Automatic presser foot pressure control.
- Top drop-in bobbin with a transparent clear cover.
- Programmable needle up/down setting.
- Independent bobbin winding system.
- Stitch memory with editing.
- 13 needle positions.
- Heavy-duty metal frame construction.
Juki TL-2200QVP-S Sit Down Long Arm Sewing Machine
Juki’s TL-2200QVP-S long arm sewing machine is a very costly product but is a very fast, almost industrial-like sewing and quilting machine, with a top sewing speed of 2200 stitches per minute. It also has customizable speed control settings and allows you to save these settings for free motion, ruler work or micro purposes.
In terms of design, the unit is built to give you great visibility of the project that you are working on. Basically, it is 10 inches high and has an 18-inch throat space that is just about the perfect size for any quilt size.
Furthermore, you also get an adjustable quilting table that is up to 50 inches wide, giving you enough space to lay out your fabric when working on large quilts.
For controls, since it has a sit-down design, the machine has a conveniently placed LCD screen that is used to make all the adjustment settings so as to fit your quilting style. These settings include programming your needle to your preferred up/down settings, automatic thread cutting settings, the maximum stitching speed etc.
Other features include dual directional LEDs that give you bright, true white lighting on your work area, dual thread stands for holding large quantities of quilting thread cones, an electronic foot control with thread cutting capability, an independent bobbin winding system and a direct drive motor that runs smoothly and efficiently with little maintenance required in the form of oiling.
Features at a glance
- Top speed of 2200 stitches per minute, with customizable and savable speed control settings.
- 10 inches high with an 18-inch throat space gives you very good visibility of the project you are working on.
- Adjustable quilting table that is up to 50 inches wide.
- A conveniently placed LCD screen for making all the adjustment settings.
- Programmable needle up/down.
- Automatic thread cutter.
- Dual directional LEDs for lighting up the work area.
- Dual thread stands.
- Electronic foot control.
- Low maintenance direct drive motor.
Flynn Multi-Frame Quilting System
Flynn’s Multi-frame quilting system is a relatively affordable product and it is also very lightweight, owing this to its 3-roll quilt frame that is almost entirely made out of PVC and fiberglass (2 PVC roller pipes and 3 fiberglass rods).
This frame’s weight makes the system somewhat portable, but also very effective at making quilts that are up to 38 inches wide (ideal for working on projects such as wall hangings).
With this design and weight, you can comfortably hold the whole setup in your lap for hand quilting and if this size is not enough, you can easily modify the frame by making new rods so that it accepts any quilt width.
Because the frame is the one that does the moving, it is highly compatible and can be used with almost any other home sewing machine.
Features at a glance
- Very affordable.
- PVC and fiberglass construction make it very lightweight and thus, portable.
- Ideal for making wall hangings or other types of quilts that are up to 38 inches wide.
- Can be held in the lap for hand quilting.
- The frame is easily modifiable by using new rods so that it accepts any quilt width.
- Highly compatible with other home sewing machines because the quilting frame is the one that does the moving.
Consider Before Buying Best Long Arm Quilting Machine
Before buying a long arm quilting machine, there are a couple of things that you need to consider. These are:
Type of Machine
This is also an important factor to consider because it determines how fast you can work on your quilts. Basically, the faster the stitching speed, the faster you can finish up your project in the shortest time possible.
However, you should also check for other features such stitch regulation and speed adjustment settings, which give you more control over the stitching process so that the machine produces consistent quality stitches that improve the quality of your end product.
A major component that makes quilting easier is the extension quilting table. Basically, the larger the table, the easier it is to lay out larger fabrics on the surface so that you can feed them smoothly to the machine.
Some units even come with quilting frames, which are much larger in size and these enable you to work on much larger quilts with ease.
This factor applies to the possible attachment between a quilting frame and the long arm quilting machine. Because some machines come without the large quilting frame, it would be wise to check if the one you choose is compatible with multiple other frames so that you can easily upgrade it with time as your needs change.
Also, if you buy a machine that is complete with the frame, ensure that both are highly compatible with other frames and machines respectively so that if one breaks down, you can easily buy and reattach another component.
Accessories are always good to have as extras and in this case, you should check for the number of bobbins and needles that are included in the set, as well as if oil and screwdrivers are included for maintenance purposes.
You May Like To Read