Anyone who sews knows that a pressing iron is necessary to have if they’re ever going to whip up a sewn garment or piece. The best iron for quilting is essential to look for, as pressing is an essential step if you want the best results. Without it, there’s a very high chance that your piece will come out wonky, creased, and wrinkled, among other things.
If you want to make sure that your quilt will turn out nicely, it would be great to get the most reliable tools for the job. We created a quick guide for the finest quilting irons that might come in handy for your search.
Reviews of the iron for Sewing and Quilting 2021 – (Editors’ Choice)
Here are 10 of our top picks for the best pressing irons for quilting to help you start your search.
1. Professional Grade 1700W Steam Iron
With its sleek and modern design, it’s easy to tell that the PurSteam Professional Grade 1700W Steam Iron would be a nice choice for various ironing tasks you have in mind. Engineered in Germany, it’s equipped with exciting features that can really come in handy to help you achieve the best results.
Like other German-made products, efficiency and reliability are two of the top things you can expect from this product. It’s powerful enough with 1700 watts to generate heat effectively, and with its Rapid Even Heating Technology, it can also cut down your ironing time in half. With these, the even distribution of heat on the surface of the soleplate is also promised.
Further making this product efficient is its True Position Axial Alignes Steam Holes. The steam holes are strategically positioned to get the best results. It also allows vertical steaming, which can let you handle a wider range of projects and work on more kinds of fabrics with it without any issues.
Features at a Glance
- 1700 watts of power guarantees effective heating.
- Rapid Even Heating Technology will ensure even results and no burnt areas.
- True Position Axial Aligned Steam Holes offer optimal steam hole positioning and allows vertical steaming.
- Easy Control Thermostat Dial guarantees ease of use.
- An automatic 3-way shut-off system ensures safe use and operation.
- Stainless steel soleplate guarantees easy gliding and movement on top of any fabric.
- Anti Calc feature guarantees that mineral buildup will not cause any damage to your unit.
2. CHI Steam Iron for Clothes
With this manufacturer championing the hairstyling tools industry, it’s not a surprise that they’ll try their hands on related areas as well. Using the same innovations and engineering techniques, now we have the Chi Steam Iron for Clothes with Titanium Infused Ceramic Soleplate. So if you love your Chi flat iron, you might want to give this item a shot, too.
As most folks will know, Chi is famous for its ability to straighten hair without effectively breaking a sweat. They’re also popular for their solid construction. So now that their technology is available for fabrics and wearables, many will be ready to trade in their old ones for this.
Of course, the hype for this item isn’t just about the brand’s reputation. It also has its own merits, like its solid build. Its titanium-infused ceramic soleplate is channeled from the flagship product of the brand. Still, it proves to be useful not just for straightening one’s dresses but also for other fabric materials.
Features at a Glance
- 1700 watts provides ample power to deal with creases and wrinkles with a breeze.
- Titanium infused ceramic soleplate guarantees easy gliding on any kind of fabric and reliable durability.
- Over 400 steam holes promise great efficiency and high performance.
- Fabric selector dial and Adjustable Steam Lever guarantee ease of use and operation.
- 8’ retractable power cord provides easy handling, storage, and overall convenience.
3. Steamfast SF-717 Mini Steam Iron
Not many quilters are big fans of mini irons but they’re still great secondary tools for the purpose for various reasons. Many quilters recommend the Steamfast SF-717 Mini Steam Iron to be a reliable option and we agree.
There are several compelling reasons to give this tiny pick a try. For starters, it’s very affordable. For something with such a good reputation, this can already win lots of people over.
If you bother to look into its features, they’ll convince you that it’s worth a shot, too. Despite being a mini-iron, it also has steaming capabilities that surprised many. This offers great versatility and functionality. In addition to this, it’s also dual-voltage. Since it’s meant for traveling, this isn’t too surprising, but it’s still a great plus.
Performance-wise, it’s quite reliable. Despite not being able to cover large areas in one pass, it’s still pretty efficient. And since it doesn’t have an auto-shutoff feature, it will stay hot until you turn it off. You’ll need to be mindful when using it, but it can come in handy when you’re cutting out and stitching up your blocks.
Features at a Glance
- 420 watts offer ample power to this small but effective iron.
- Non-stick soleplate ensures a smooth glide on any fabric.
- Quick heat-up guarantees that you don’t need to wait long to start pressing.
- 4-ounce water tank promise that it can store quite a lot of water for steaming.
- Quick controls (1-touch steam control, 3 temperature settings) promise easy operation.
- Dual voltage compatibility guarantees that you can use it anywhere.
4. Maytag M400 Speed Heat Steam Iron
Next up is a popular expert pick, the Maytag M400 Speed Heat Steam Iron. This item is solid proof that a hefty price tag is necessary to ensure great quality and performance.
Despite its relative affordability, the Maytag M400 is one of the best performers in terms of heat-up speed when compared to lots of other popular pressing irons in the market today. It reaches its top temperature in less than a minute and produces steam in just 25 seconds. As a result, it can help you cut down your ironing time significantly.
It’s also relatively lightweight, so it can promise less arm fatigue for those who need to iron a lot of items. This is probably because it has a smaller water tank than the other full-sized irons on the list. However, it can still be handy for quilters since they often need to press a large fabric.
Another winning feature of this item is its self-cleaning feature. It’s a fact that irons can be annoying to keep clean and maintain, especially if you work with many synthetic fabrics. This functionality will really come in handy for those with very hectic schedules.
Features at a Glance
- 1500 watts of power will ensure quick heat-up time and effective performance.
- Speed Heat technology promises to bring the iron to full heat in 40 seconds.
- Stainless steel soleplate promises a smooth glide and easy upkeep.
- Vertical steam function further extends its functionality.
- The self-cleaning function guarantees fuss-free maintenance.
5. BLACK+DECKER Digital Advantage Professional Steam Iron
Another impressive option is the Black+Decker Digital Advantage Professional Steam Iron. This product is loaded with features that will give you lots of ways to use without complicating its operation.
Its most striking feature, the digital temperature control, can be a bit surprising as who thought you’d need a screen on your pressing iron, right? This functionality gives this item very easy to control and personalize temperature settings. So if you’re very particular about the little details for your fabrics and pieces, this can be a great feature to have.
Further ensuring that you have total control over its performance are the Moisture Control Buttons. These will let you choose between using a light mist or a strong burst of steam on the item you’re working on.
It’s also packed with a few other convenient features. It has a vertical steaming capability, so you can use it not just for pressing quilt blocks but also for pressing delicate fabrics. It also has a 3-way auto shut-off functionality to ensure safe use better. And on top of these is its Auto Clean system, so you don’t need to fuss too much in keeping your unit in top shape.
Features at a Glance
- 1500 watts power ensures that efficiency and reliable performance.
- High steam rate with vertical steaming capability and moisture control buttons provide more ways to deal with creases and wrinkles.
- Digital temperature control removes the guesswork involved in setting the temperature for your garments and fabrics.
- Stainless steel soleplate ensures a smooth and easy glide for fuss-free use.
- 3-way auto shut-off guarantees safe use.
- Auto Clean System simplifies its maintenance and upkeep.
6. Shark Steam Iron, Red
This brand may be best known for its vacuum cleaners, but it also offers a wide range of other home appliances with impressive performance. The Shark Steam Iron GI305 is a popular pick among its pressing irons, so if you like the brand, make sure to check out this item.
The biggest charm of this product is that it’s designed for ease of use. Its premium stainless steel soleplate guarantees easy movement on any kind of fabric, so you won’t have a hard time pressing with it. It’s also meant to be lightweight, so handling it won’t tire you out easily.
Its details also help simplify its operation. It’s equipped with an easy fill-door that’s easily accessible, so you can certainly fill the water tank without too much fuss. It also has a button-fit tip, so you’ll have an easier time getting into hard to reach areas with its help.
Features at a Glance
- 1500 watts power guarantees high-quality performance and results.
- 5” stainless steel soleplate will smoothly glide over any fabric and cover large areas with a single pass, guaranteeing efficiency.
- Multi-position steam makes it rather flexible and capable of handling various types of garments.
- Auto shutoff feature ensures safety.
- The Easy-fill door provides quick and easy access to the water tank.
7. Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron
For an affordable but feature-packed option, you should check out the Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron. This is one of the lowest-priced choices on this list next to the mini-iron above, so it can certainly be a solid budget pick for you.
Despite its friendly price tag, this item ticks all of the boxes in what you need from a reliable iron for quilting. It has enough power to heat up quickly and evenly, so you can be sure that it will meet your needs. It also has 3 steam settings: spray mist, a steam shot, and a vertical shot of steam, so it can certainly offer more functionalities and uses.
It also has other convenient features that make it extra useful. Its 3-way auto-shutoff feature ensures that it’s safe to use. It also has a self-cleaning function, so you don’t have to worry about the mineral buildup and how it can damage your Steam Iron. All of these really make a pretty good deal, if you ask us.
Features at a Glance
- 1400 watts power ensures reliable performance and efficiency.
- Non-stick soleplate guarantees easy gliding and lower chances of damaging your projects.
- Various steam settings provide more functionality to this product.
- 3-Way Motion Smart® Auto-Off Technology ensures energy efficiency and user safety.
- The self-cleaning feature promises to prevent mineral buildup and easy upkeep.
8. Oliso TG1100 Smart Iron
It seems like every home appliance is becoming smart nowadays, so it shouldn’t be surprising that the same thing applies to irons. One of the most notable options for such items is the Oliso TG1100 Smart Iron with iTouch Technology.
Offering an award-winning design, this product can certainly be intriguing as it seems to offer more functionalities than regular irons. What makes this item smart is its iTouch Technology that uses sensors on the handle to activate the patented Scorchguards that lift the iron to prevent scorching your fabric. This can be very useful for quilters as you often need to move things around while pressing fabrics to help prevent accidents.
The devil is also in the details of this product. Its design is also one thing that makes it smart as it has thought of making it very easy and safe to use. How? For one, its Scorchguards will lift the iron high enough so your fingers won’t get burnt when you accidentally put your fingers under it. The water tank’s cover also doubles as a spout, so you can easily pour water in without spilling anything.
Features at a Glance
- 1800 watts offer a lot more power compared to the other items on this list.
- Premium chromium finished stainless steel soleplate promises quality and reliable performance.
- iTouch technology uses patented Scorchguards to prevent damaging fabrics and garments.
- Quad Auto Shut-Off function further ensures user safety.
- Tripleplay™ Xtremesteam promises high-powered steaming capability.
- 10’8” power cord length ensures easy handling.
9. Ivation Small Mini Iron
In case you prefer a mini iron, the Ivation Small Mini Iron is another option you can look into. Like the similar item mentioned above, this is a feature-packed option. So even if it’s small, it can do a lot of wrinkle and crease-busting.
While its wattage is way lower than the other items above, it’s more than enough for its small size. In fact, it heats up faster than the other options here as it can reach high temperatures in just 15 seconds. With 3 levels of heat settings, you can choose the settings you need to get the results you want. It also has streaming capabilities, so you have more ways to deal with creases, folds, and wrinkles.
Its use of a nonstick ceramic soleplate is also notable as it promises better durability and performance. Ceramic is noted for its smoother surface and even heat distribution; both are useful for pressing fabrics effectively.
Features at a Glance
- 420 watts of power will already provide ample heat to help you effectively iron your fabrics and garments.
- Nonstick Ceramic Soleplate promise evenly distributed heat and the ability to glide smoothly on various fabrics’ surfaces.
- Quick-Heat Technology with 3 heat levels promises quick heat-up times.
- One-touch steam control ensures ease of use and more functionality.
- 5’ power cord length guarantees easy handling and use.
- Dual-voltage compatibility makes it very versatile and suitable for traveling.
10. Panasonic 360 Ceramic Cordless Freestyle Iron
Lastly, we have the Panasonic 360 Ceramic Cordless Freestyle Iron. Out of this lineup, this one will definitely stand out because of its appearance and functionality. So if you want something different, this might be a good choice for you.
The first thing that you should know about this item is that it’s not your traditional iron. As its name suggests, it’s a ‘freestyle’ iron. It’s designed to provide a different way of handling a pressing iron, so it looks different.
What sets it apart is its cordless design with two pointed ends. This makes it very easy to maneuver as you don’t have to be limited by a power cord. The pointy ends are also great for ironing pieces of clothing.
It also comes with a charging base that doubles as a storage and carrying case. It’s heat resistant, so it won’t get damaged even if you use it as a dock while using the iron.
Features at a Glance
- 1500 watts power guarantees great efficiency and single-pass results.
- Ceramic soleplate ensures even heat distribution and a smooth glide on various fabrics.
- 360° ironing offered by its two pointed ends offers more functionality and ease of use.
- Adjustable steaming and ironing settings provide total control over how you can use this product.
- A multifunctional charging base won’t just power up the iron and hold it in place, but it also works as a carrying and storage case.
- A removable water tank makes refills simpler.
What do We Need to Consider When Buying iron for Sewing and Quilting?
Such exciting and interesting products, right? Since all of them are great, it’s easy to see why taking a pick can be quite confusing. If you want to make sure that you’ll make the right call, here are some tips that can help you make a good decision.
Do your research
Looking at different irons may not exactly sound like a lot of fun, but if you want to put your money in the right place, it’s an absolute must-do.
By taking on this task, you’ll get to know your many options, and you’ll be surprised at how many different irons there are.
You should also learn which irons are best to use for quilts so you’ll have an idea of what kind of product you should look for.
Set a budget
As our list shows, irons come in a wide range of price points. Fancier options are pricier, but there are very great picks at lower price ranges, so you can be sure that you have lots of choices. Setting a budget will help you narrow down your options; however, this can greatly benefit you.
Everything you buy needs to be of high quality so you can be sure to get the most out of your purchase and so it won’t easily break down on you. With irons reaching high temperatures, it would be wise to make sure that the item you’re getting is of good quality, so you don’t put yourself in any danger when you use it.
Look for safety features.
Speaking of your safety, it would also be nice to have safety features on your pressing iron. Most units now come with auto-shutoff features, so if you forget to turn them off, it won’t cause injuries or cause a fire. This is extra handy for quilters as handling lots of pieces can overwhelm you while preparing the blocks, so you might forget about turning the iron off.
Make sure that the iron is easy to use
Again, with how dynamic the quilting process can be, you might want to simplify some parts of it by opting for an iron that’s easy to operate.
They say that the best iron for quilting is one of the main weapons of a quilter. This is why you should make an effort to find a good one if you want the best results for your quilts.
The process may seem daunting, but with enough knowledge and know-how, you’re bound to find your perfect match. Reading our guide is definitely a good start, too, as we’re sure that our tips and recommendations can help you find what you’re looking for.