A sewing machine should be a lifelong investment, which you should even pass down to your children when you grow old. If you choose the wrong one, you will have spent a lot of money on something that you will discard after a short time, without fully giving you the service you deserve.
In particular, electronic sewing machines are quite expensive, and therefore, you cannot afford to make a mistake when buying one. An important question you should ask yourself is, “what do I need?” From this, you will able to narrow down the features you want.
Below are some of the best electronic sewing machines to choose from.
Reviews of the Electronic Sewing Machines 2021 – (Editors’ Choice)
1. Singer Stylist 7258
The singer stylist 7258 computerized sewing machine is equipped with 100 built-in stitches that include 76 decorative stitches, 9 basic stitches, 8 stretch stitches, and 7 automatic buttonhole stitches. These give you a wide array of stitching options to choose from for your various sewing projects.
It has selector buttons used to select the stitch number and the stitch length and width. All the 100 stitches are clearly drawn and numbered on the panel below the selector buttons, giving you an easily accessible reference point when making a selection. The active stitch, together with its length and width, is visibly shown on the machine’s LCD screen, and this makes the whole stitch selection and adjustment process a breeze.
This machine comes with a foot pedal for controlling the sewing speed. It also has an electronic start/ stop button, which can substitute the foot pedal, freeing up your legs in the process. This start/stop feature has a controllable speed option, which is done using a speed control lever. This gives you more control over the sewing speed, enabling you to sew at a speed you are comfortable with.
Loading its bobbin is quite smooth. For starters, bobbin winding is automatic, which means that the bobbin will automatically stop winding when it is full. This relieves you of the stress of overfilling the bobbin, in case you get distracted.
Loading it into the machine is also quite easy because the machine has a top drop-in bobbin system. Additionally, this system has a clear cover, making it quite easy to monitor the bobbin thread supply.
Features at a glance
- High-speed stitching, which reaches a maximum of 750 stitches per minute
- The conveniently placed storage tray, which is removable to expose the free arm
- LED bulb illuminates the workspace, enabling you to stitch dark fabrics quickly.
- Programmable up or down needle position when the machine stops
- Automatic reverse stitching, conveniently done by pressing on the reverse button
- Multiple feet, bobbins, needles, and a ripper and screwdriver are included as accessories.
- Built-in needle threader.
2. Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
This machine is ideal for the creative mind because it comes with 600 built-in stitches, giving every type of sewing project a custom design. This huge number includes 5 alphanumeric fonts, which are not a common thing in other sewing machines.
These different stitch designs are clearly drawn and numbered on the machine’s front panel. This gives you a reference point for easy selection when using the selector buttons to input the LCD screen’s stitch number.
For convenience, the 8 most commonly used stitches have their own dedicated selector buttons, giving you a direct stitch selection without requiring to feed in the stitch number.
It features a slightly larger working table that gives you enough space to work on when dealing with bulky fabrics or quilting. This wider surface doubles up as the storage tray, hiding the accompanying accessories underneath the working table.
This means that it is removable (to access the accessories), which exposes the machine’s free arm in the process. The free arm enables you to work on rounded stitching projects such as pant hems, cuffs, and collars.
The machine has a top sewing speed of 850 stitches per minute, which is fast enough to help you finish your sewing projects promptly. However, this speed can be varied to suit your preferred sewing speed using either the pressure foot pedal or the speed adjustment lever, which can only be used together with the start/stop button.
Features at a glance
- Automatic needle threader.
- The start/ Stop button lights up in green when the presser foot is down and red when the presser foot is raised, showing you when you can or cannot sew.
- Reverse button for easy reverse stitching selection
- Automatic thread trimming, which cuts the top and bottom thread by the press of a button after you are done the stitching
- Stitch mirror imaging and elongations for more creative designs
- Twin needle stitching and accompanying settings.
- Heavy-duty metal frame construction
3. Singer 7469Q
As the name suggests, this sewing machine is specifically designed to help you with your quilting projects. It has a drop feed lever that raises or lowers the feed dogs to enable you to have the fabric moved automatically by the machine or manually by your hands.
This gives you the ability to sew using free motion, a must-have for quilting and fashion sewing due to the unlimited decorative designs you can create. The needle is also programmable to stop in either an up or down position, making quilting easier, especially when dealing with patchworks. Additionally, it comes with 4 extra quilting feet that expand your quilting creativity and capability.
This machine has a total of 98 built-in stitches, which offer you a wide array of options for your quilting projects. These stitches include 77 decorative ones, 8 basic and 7 fully automatic buttonhole stitches, to name a few.
All these can be adjusted width-wise or length-wise to create custom seams as per the fabric requirements. The machine also has a reverse lever that can reverse the stitching direction, reinforcing seam ends or entire seams.
In terms of usability, the machine is easy to set up due to its automatic needle threader. This component simplifies the task of needle threading into something that can be done almost instantly, without any eye strain. The drop and sew bobbin system also simplifies the setup process because it automatically draws up the bobbin for you. You have to drop the bobbin and start sewing.
Features at a glance
- The Heavy-duty metal frame holds all the components in perfect alignment.
- Extension table for easier quilting as well as easier sewing when using a bulky fabric
- Extra high presser foot lifter to accommodate thick fabrics and quilting projects.
- The maximum sewing speed of 750 stitches per minute
- Automatic control of the presser foot pressure
- The LCD screen and selector buttons for easy selection between different stitches and their lengths and widths.
- 2 LED light bulbs for lighting up the working area, enabling you to quilt dark fabrics easily
- The small size makes it portable and mountable on cabinets.
4. Singer 8768
This sewing machine resembles the older mechanical sewing machines of the previous generation. This vintage look might appeal to the old school type of person. It features a hand wheel that enables you to raise the needle if the machine stopped with it plunged into the fabric. It can also be used to plunge the needle into the fabric if you want to pivot the stitch around it, for instance, when sewing pocket corners.
It comes with 24 built-in stitches, with each having its dedicated button on the front panel for a one-touch selection. Electronic sewing machines generally have fewer built-in stitches than their computerized counterparts, and therefore, this is a reasonable number for this machine.
The stitches give you enough options to choose from when working on most sewing projects. Additionally, they are adjustable length-wise and width-wise, giving you more flexibility to use for various projects.
It has a concealed storage tray on its bottom side, which is removable when you want to access the stored accessories. On removal, this tray exposes the machine’s free arm, which is used for stitching hard to reach areas, especially on rounded designs such as pant hems, collars, and cuffs.
The transparent case on its top drop-in bobbin compartment makes it quite easy to monitor the bobbin thread level. This prompts you to wind it as it nears completion to avoid interruptions when stitching.
Features at a glance
- The LCD screen shows the selected stitch, as well as its length and width size.
- Reverse button for easier reverse selection when doing backstitching
- Pressure foot pedal for controlling the sewing speed
- Automatic needle threader.
- The drop and sew bobbin system automatically draws the bobbin thread into the machine.
- The presser foot sensor keeps the presser foot in the correct position at all times.
- Swift smart threading system for fast and easy threading of the entire machine
5. Janome DC4030P
This sewing machine is equipped with 30 built-in stitches, which include 6 one-step buttonhole stitches. Selecting these stitches is simplified using 15 selector buttons, with each giving you 2 options to choose from.
The length and width of each of these stitches are adjustable, and this is easily done using 2 selector buttons; one for the length and the other for the width. Each selection is shown through the machine’s back-lit LED screen, which is conveniently located above these selector buttons so that you can preview the selections live.
It comes with a 7-piece feed dog, which grips tightly into fabrics to pull them as they are stitched comfortably. These feed dogs can also be dropped, allowing you to do some free motion sewing, which is ideal for quilting and creative stitching decorations.
A start/ stop button is included, which serves as an alternative to the foot pedal controller. This button enables you to keep the constant sewing speed which you are comfortable sewing with. It also has a speed control slider, which is used to adjust the sewing speed, giving you the flexibility to sew at maximum speed (820 stitches per minute) or at any speed slower than that.
It has a removable storage tray, which comes packed with the machine’s accessories. Once removed, this tray exposes the free arm, enabling you to work on small, rounded openings such as sleeves, collars, pant hems, and cuffs.
Features at a glance
- Top loading drop-in bobbin with a transparent cover makes it easier to monitor the amount of thread remaining on the bobbin.
- It comes with multiple accessories, including needles, a seam ripper, a screwdriver, bobbins, and multiple feet.
- Built-in automatic needle threader.
- Programmable needle up/ down positions when the machine stops.
- Elongated stitches button for stitching fabrics such as satin
- LED lights for lighting up the work area.
- The auto-tension system maintains the thread tightness throughout the sewing as well as the bobbin loading period.
6. Brother XR9500PRW
With 100 built-in stitches (including 55 alphanumeric stitches for basic monogramming), this project runway limited edition sewing machines give you enough options for quilting as well as for regular fabric stitching.
It comes with a quilting table, which can be attached separately when working on quilting or other projects requiring bulky fabric. This table and the storage tray can be removed to expose the free arm, which is ideal for stitching cuffs, sleeves, and other hard to reach fabric seams.
The machine comes with a large LCD backlit screen, displaying the current stitch number, length, and width. These stitch values can be easily changed using selector buttons located right next to this screen.
The stitch patterns and numbers are clearly drawn and numbered on the panel below the screen and button, giving you an easy access reference point when selecting the type of stitch you want. Stitch direction can be reversed by pressing on the reverse button, enabling you to sew backward while working with any stitch type.
It has a speed controller that is conveniently located at the center of the machine’s front side. This controller is clearly labeled with arrows indicating a fast, faster, and fastest speed, enabling you to select one among the three for your sewing project. The maximum, or fastest, sewing speed tops up at 850 stitches per minute, which is quite fast and will quickly get you through your sewing projects.
Features at a glance
- LED lights light up the work area, making it easier to work on dark fabrics.
- The automatic thread cutter button enables you to cut off the top and bottom thread after stitching.
- The drop feed feature allows free-motion sewing.
- Automatic presser foot pressure adjustment gives you an easy time working with different fabrics.
- It comes with multiple accessories.
- Automatic bobbin winding system.
- Quick set drop-in bobbin with the transparent cover
7. Singer Quantum Stylist 9985
This is probably the most featured computerized sewing machine there is. It redefines the whole stitching selection process by having a large, back-lit, color touch screen that displays everything from stitch types to threading instructions, making the machine very easy to use.
The touchscreen is also convenient, considering the machine has 960 built-in stitches. These could have been very challenging to go through when selecting if selector buttons were featured.
The huge number of built-in stitches is ideal for the creative mind because it gives limitless embellishments options. 6 styles of alphabets and numerals are included in this list, and these enable you to customize projects by adding names, monograms, or even dates. This makes the machine ideal for creating custom patches, with writings such as name tags or company names stitched on them.
In addition to this wide array of stitches, the machine has mirror imaging and elongation functions, which can mirror stitch designs and make them longer, adding some stitching varieties to the ones already included. This further extends your stitching options, giving you more than enough options for all kinds of sewing projects.
It comes with an automatic needle threader that makes it quite easy to thread the needle in usability. It also has an automatic thread trimmer that automatically cuts the top and bottom thread at the push of a button. A stitch selection chart, located on the upper lid, gives you an easier time finding the preferred stitch, and this complements the LCD screen stitch selection, which also shows the various stitch patterns.
Features at a glance
- Heavy-duty metal frame construction makes it durable and holds every component firmly in place.
- Programmable up/ down needle position.
- Adjustable stitch length and width.
- It comes with an extension table for increasing the work area.
- The maximum speed of 850 stitches per minute
- LED light bulb lights up the work area, making it comfortable to work on dark fabrics.
- Storage compartment and free arm below the work area
- Multiple accessories included (multiple presser feet, bobbins, needles, screwdrivers, etc.)
Considering these factors is vital to selecting the best electronic sewing machines. Any sewing machine might work for you, but you might have spent a fortune on extras you do not need or, it might fail after some time due to poor quality.
This might be disappointing because once you get familiar with something, it might be hard to let go. This might also set you back a couple of days from completing your sewing project. Therefore, it is essential to be very careful before settling down on one particular machine.