Considered as an old-fashioned form of art, the world of sewing has hit the 21’ st century and in good fashion. Mechanical sewing machines have been dumped for electronic and computerized machines faster and have many useful features.
However, the feature set in each machine might be very confusing, especially to a beginner, and might lead to the wrong purchase. Although they are useful, what is important to consider at the very beginning is your intended use.
If you are always on the move, portability should guide you. If you only intend to do occasional minor repair work, for instance, on your clothes, there is no need to invest in a costly machine that has every feature you can think of.
With this in mind, here are some of the best basic sewing machines available on the market.
Reviews of the Basic Sewing Machine for Beginners 2021 – (Editors’ Choice)
1. Singer Heavy Duty 4423
This sewing machine has a heavy-duty aluminum frame that keeps its components and mechanisms firmly attached and in perfect alignment so that you can do your work easily. Its bed-plate is also very strong.
It is made from heavy-duty stainless steel that prevents it from scratching on its surface while sewing. This overall heavy-duty construction makes it very strong and durable enough to last for ages.
This machine’s inner mechanisms include a potent motor that can push the needle through seams of some of the heaviest fabrics, such as denim, making it ideal for almost all sewing projects.
Additionally, this motor delivers a speed of up to 1100 stitches per minute, which is faster than most basic sewing machines on the market. This enables us to carry out bigger sewing projects in a concise amount of time.
Functionally, this machine does not disappoint. It has 23 built-in stitches that include 12 decorative stitches, which are intricately designed and can be used to embellish garments or upholstery.
The rest of the stitches include 6 essential stitches and an automatic one-step buttonhole stitch. These give you enough stitching options for any sewing project.
It has an automatic needle threader that does a good job of simplifying threading the needle. It is built into the machine and enables you to insert the thread into the needle’s eye without straining your eyes.
Features at a glance
- Transparent bobbins and bobbin cover to enable easier monitoring of thread supply.
- Jam proof top drop-in bobbin for stress-free sewing
- An adjustable pressure foot controller enables you to sew light to heavy fabrics with ease.
- Automatic reverse to allow you to sew backward to reinforce stitches.
- It comes with various accessories that include a buttonhole foot, a button sewing foot, a zipper foot, an all-purpose foot, transparent bobbins, and a screwdriver, among many others.
2. Brother CS6000i
This sewing machine is stocked with a wide array of built-in stitches that include 20 decorative stitches, 20 more for garment construction, 7 quilting stitches, 7 auto buttonhole, and 6 heirloom stitches.
They are 60 in total and displayed in a numbered format on the machines’ cover. This makes it quite easy to select the required stitch on the selector buttons, with the stitch number showing on the machine’s backlit LCD.
Each of these stitches’ size is easily adjustable lengthwise or width-wise and uses selector buttons that display the selected size on the same LCD screen. These variations enable you to develop well-decorated designs and are more than enough for any sewing project.
The machine’s sewing speed is adjustable between 3 preset speeds, labeled with arrows to show the fast, faster, and fastest speed. This gives you control over how fast or slows you want to sew.
It features an oversized table that is very convenient for large sewing works such as quilts because the extra space gives you room to move the fabric around as you sew it. The machine has an LED bulb that lights up the sewing area, making it quite easy to sew dark fabrics and sew in the dark.
It comes with foot control, but it features a start/ stop button that allows you to sew without using the foot control, giving you the option of either using your finger or foot every time you need to power the motor.
Features at a glance
- Automatic needle threader for inserting the thread into the needle eye easily.
- Built-in free arm for sewing cuffs, sleeves, pant legs, as well as any other cylindrical item
- Numbered threading diagram on the machine’s body makes it very easy to thread.
- It comes with many accessories that include a screwdriver, needles, different types of feet such as an overcasting foot, a zipper foot, and a fitting button foot, among many others.
3. Singer Start 1304
This is the ideal sewing machine for beginners. It features 6 built-in stitches that include straight stitches, zigzag stitches, a blind hem stitch, a decorative scallop stitch, and a 4 step buttonhole stitch.
Each of these stitches has a preset length and width size, and this makes it quite easy to use because it does not require any further adjustment settings. These stitches are selected using a big dial labeled and located on the machine’s front for easy accessibility.
It comes with multiple accessories that include needle packs, bobbins, screwdriver, and different feet. All these can be safely stored inside the machine’s storage tray, conveniently hidden as part of its lower base body. The bobbins included as accessories can be wound easily using an automatic winder located on the machine’s top.
This winder is easy to use because it has a numbered diagram that gives a detailed string guide. Additionally, the winding will stop automatically when the bobbin is full while the needle bar disengages automatically during winding to prevent any piercing accidents or injuries from happening.
The machine’s components are held in place by a heavy-duty inner frame construction. This ensures that everything is perfectly aligned at all times for skip-free sewing throughout its lifespan. It also makes the machine very durable, ensuring you of long service life.
Features at a glance
- The built-in reverse lever enables backward stitching for reinforcing joints and seams.
- 6 built-in stitches with preset lengths and widths.
- Easy stitch selection from a clearly labeled and easily accessible stitch dial
- Includes 3 presser feet (buttonhole, zipper, and all-purpose feet), making it ideal for almost all sewing projects.
- Dual spool pins enable you to make twin needle stitches with ease.
- Free arm for stitching sleeves or cuffs
4. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
This sewing machine has an impressive sewing speed, which can reach up to 1000 stitches per minute. This quickens the sewing process, enabling you to do more work in the same time frame as other slower machines. This stitching is also reversible using its reverse lever, which is basically like an up and down switch. Reversing enables you to lock stitches as well as to reinforce them for more durable seams.
It features 12 stitch designs plus a built-in 4 step button stitch, and all are clearly labeled on a stitch chart located on the front side of the machine. These give you enough workable options for various sewing projects, while the labeling makes it quite easy to select the stitch you want.
Selecting is actually done using a stitch selector dial, which is labeled according to the stitch chart. It has two more additional dials, one for adjusting the stitch length, which goes up to a maximum of 4mm for forwarding stitching, and up to 2.5mm for reverse stitching, while the other adjusts the stitch width, which can reach a maximum of 5mm.
The machine has a storage tray below the needle plate to store its accessories, including a screwdriver, bobbins, and needle sets, among many others. This tray is removable, leaving space and exposing the free arm, which is very useful for stitching sleeves or cuffs.
Features at a glance
- The stitch chart displays all the 12 built-in stitches and clearly labels them for easy selection.
- 3 easy to use dials; one for selecting the type of stitch, the other for stitch length adjustment, and the last one for stitch width adjustment.
- LED light for lighting up the working area.
- Reverse lever for easy switching between forward and reverse stitching.
- Drop feed moves the fabrics freely, making it easy when quilting.
5. Brother XM2701
Straight out of the box, this machine looks good. It has an artistically designed drawing on its right side that gives you the feeling you are about to create an artistic masterpiece on your fabrics.
It has 27 built-in stitches drawn and numbered on the machine’s surface for easy referencing during selection to help you achieve this. It has a dial used to switch between these stitches and is clearly labeled with the stitch numbers for easy use.
Its usability has been designed with simplicity in mind. Threading, for instance, is quite easy. Laying the thread is very straightforward, and the final bit is simplified by an automatic needle threader, which helps you insert the thread through the eye of the needle without straining your eyes.
The presser foot can be fitted with 6 quick-changing sewing feet that are included in the package. These include zipper, buttonhole, zigzag, narrow hemmer, button, and blind feet, giving you quite a several options to work with. It has an LED light that lights up the work area, giving you an easy time working on dark fabrics and working in the dark.
The machine features a free arm that is exposed to removing the storage tray from its position. This enables you to sew cuffs and sleeves as well as other hard to each area in fabrics.
Features at a glance
- Top drop-in bobbin keeps the bobbin in place, and its jam-resistant build ensures you sew uninterruptedly.
- LED light lights up the work area to keep you going non-stop.
- The small and light design makes it very portable.
- Single-step auto-sized buttonhole stitching makes it very easy to create buttonholes in fabrics.
- Easy bobbin winding makes for quick loading in between sewing projects.
- Includes many accessories such as multiple feet, needle sets, screwdriver, bobbins, and spool spin, among many others
6. Singer Simple 3232
As the name suggests, this sewing machine is very simple to thread. From the bobbin winding to threading the upper part, simplicity is a key constant because the entire process can be done in a few seconds. It even has an automatic needle threader for quick and easy insertion of the thread into the needle eye.
It features 32 built-in stitches that give you an extensive selection of decorative, essential, and stretch stitches to choose from. It also has a single buttonhole stitch, which makes it quite easy to stitch around a buttonhole. All these are adjustable using 2 dials: adjusting the stitch length and adjusting the stitch width. These enable you to personalize stitches to suit your preferred stitch appearance.
It has a powerful motor that tops its sewing speed at 750 stitches per minute. This speed makes it quite easy to penetrate tough fabric while also quickening your sewing projects’ pace.
The sewing direction can also be reversed using a reverse lever, which basically works like a switch but must be pressed down to engage reverse gear. This enables you to reinforce seams while still maintaining the same stitch pattern on the fabric.
Singer sewing machines are known for their strong and sturdy built frames, which is no different. It has a heavy-duty metallic inner frame that holds everything steadily in place for skip-free sewing. Additionally, it makes the machine very durable, giving you a very long service life while still maintaining optimal performance.
Features at a glance
- Storage tray beneath the needle plate for storing the accompanying accessories
- A removable storage tray exposes the free arm, which is very useful in stitching cuffs and sleeves.
- It contains a light bulb for lighting up the work area.
- 32 built-in stitches (19 decorative, 6 essential, 6 stretch, and 1 automatic single step stitch).
- It is accompanied by many accessories that include bobbins, feet, screwdriver, the quilting guide, and needle sets, among many others.
7. Singer Simple 3223R
This sewing machine is also among the singer’s simple lines up, and it is characterized by an automatic bobbin winding feature that is quite simple to use. The spool pin’s area to the bobbin pin is labeled with numbers, showing the sequence of thread passes that need to be followed before winding it onto the bobbin.
After this is done, the machine automatically fills the bobbin, cutting off the process once it is full. This, in addition to the labeled top installation, makes it quite easy to use, which is a good feature for first-time users.
It has an on-board storage tray that can store all the included accessories. This tray is removable and exposes the machine’s free arm, which is used to sew cylindrical fabrics such as sleeves, pant hems, collars, and other hard to reach areas. This makes it an all-around sewing tool that can be used on almost any type of project.
Features at a glance
- The heavy-duty metallic design keeps everything held in place for skip-free sewing.
- Includes 4 snap-on presser feet in the package, which are easy to switch from one to the other.
- Available in three colors (raspberry, petrol, and honey).
- Presser foot can be raised higher to accommodate thick layers of fabric.
- 23 built-in stitches with adjustable stitch length for more personalized options.
There are many different types of sewing machines. Even though they have attractive descriptions and fancy features, it is essential to consider your intended use first. If you do clothes stitching, your safest bet would be a machine with a buttonhole and free arm.
For quilting, a machine with a large working area would suit your needs the most because multi-layered fabrics might be heavy and need to be placed over a large surface area to balance it. If you consider these use cases first, you will most likely get the best basic sewing machine for your needs.