When you are planning to choose the best sewing machine for your kids, keep the following points in mind:
The first thing that you need to keep in mind that the sewing machine should be of moderate price. You may think that your kid will love sewing. The reality could be different. The budget also plays a vital role while choosing the machine as it may have an effect on the features. The low cost, toy-like sewing machines are good for nothing. Buying a cheap sewing machine can kill the love for sewing that your kid may have.
There are several models of sewing machines available in the market for kids. Instead of good looking cheap models, always prefer to buy the good product. The long lasting products may not look as good as the toy sewing machines. Although, there are some companies that make entry-level best sewing machine with different themes like ‘hello kitty’ for kids.
Those sewing machines which look like toys are not durable. They break easily and do not have good stitching patterns. If the machines that your kid is using are not durable, it will break easily. The kids’ toy should be tough enough to tolerate rough handling.
When you are giving a machine in your kids’ hands that have sharp pins, safety is a must. The best sewing machines for your kids should have a number of safety features included.
- It should have Auto-stop. Sometimes, kid’s skin may get stuck in the machine. If it has an auto-stop feature, it will cut the power automatically in case there is a lot of resistance.
- When your kid is in the skill-developing stage, the speed control comes in handy. It will allow your kid to work at different speeds while understanding the stitch patterns.
- Finger guard is the most important part of safety measures in sewing machines. It keeps your kid’s finger safe from sharp edges. In case the model you are planning to buy does not have a finger guard, you can buy it separately as well.
Read Our Resources About Sewing Machine:-
- How to Use an Electric Sewing Machine
- How to Sew a Bound Seam with a Sewing Machine
- How to Use a Double Needle on a Sewing Machine
Bobbin loading and winding
When you are choosing the best sewing machine for your kids, it should be simple to use. The most irritating part for any kid is loading the bobbin. The machine you choose should have a simple mechanism. If there is an option that has automatic bobbin winding, it will be perfect. In cheap machines, the bobbin often jams. This causes a lot of frustration in kids and they may lose the interest. Look for online reviews of the product before buying it.
A lot of products in the market come with snap-on presser feet. Some of them also include buttonhole and zipper feet as well. These features are useful if you want your kid to explore different dimensions and go wild with the imagination.
There are several options available in the market with a different number of stitch patterns. The machines with a higher number of patterns often attract parents. Sadly, these machines are quite complex for a kid. Just because you want your kid to have a lot of options in stitch patterns does not mean the machine should be complex. There are few products which have lesser number of patterns. Any machine that has 10-25 stitch patterns can be considered a good entry level machine.